Microsoft stinks...

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Microsoft stinks...

Postby wlrjr » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:31 pm

If for some reason you have to re-install FSX (Box) and cannot bring the activation wizard up (which is very common), Microsoft will no longer activate it by phone. Glad I bought P3d v 3.4
wlrjr
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Microsoft stinks...

Postby Canuck1955 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:31 am

Yes it is all done electronically. Did it very recently and it all went very smoothly.
Canuck1955
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby ftldave » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:05 am

Bashing Microsoft is old. Having created the most successful, most popular computer operating system, Microsoft Windows, and taking the Flight Simulator line of software to excellence doesn't get credit here like it should, I think. Like people at most big corporations, the Microsofties have done some really dumb things, especially over the past few years, true. That said, they've done some fine work, too.

The fixes for the lack of an activation wizard are addressed on this forum and at many other sites. Stop complaining, do some research, and you'll find how others have dealt with the problem. It requires some effort and knowledge, i.e. software maintenance, to get (and keep) a 10-year-old program working properly, but thousands and thousands of people do it every day.

And if you choose not to, then good luck with your training, academic, and development work with P3D. :lol:
ftldave
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby wlrjr » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:57 am

P3d is merely a re-work of FSX. Do you really think it is designed for training use? :lol: Also, some folks did not grow up with a computer as their first toy so maybe lacking in knowledge
wlrjr
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby striker » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:50 pm

Do you really think it is designed for training use?

Well yes flying schools use it all the time. Speaking as a real life pilot, the MSFS series is a pretty realistic PC rendition of real flying, with speeds, lift, handling, landings, and nav all OK to practice. Even engine off forced landings are not that bad. Where it is a let down on that level is the ground/earth outside airfields.

Do you fly for real? If so, where and what a/c? :)
striker
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:09 pm

wlrjr wrote:P3d is merely a re-work of FSX. ....

Well, yes and no.

A version of FSX, one that WAS used for training, was the starting point for Prepar3d.

But the way most people use Prepar3d there is little basic difference.

wlrjr wrote:Do you really think it is designed for training use? :lol: ...

Actually, Prepar3d IS being developed for training. Primarily for cockpit, navigation, communications, checklists/procedures, and scenario training porpoises.

Again, this is not the way that most people use it, and when used in a professional setting the equipment goes far beyond what you have at home. Unless you have a full cockpit mockup.

And even then, you can STILL use it for real life training with less than a full cockpit.

I did so badly when I first started with FSX that I was determined to lean, at least, the basic skills of areal navigation.

Do you want to trust your life to those skills on a dark and stormy night? No way.

But I DO like to test myself under horrible flying conditions. And most of the time I do find, and land, at the airport that I was aiming for.

It does help that I've set my sim up for that. :D

Looking for jet type instruments? They ain't there. I like low & slow. It's more of a challenge that way. :o

Not that I don't use some modern equipment from time to time. :D

wlrjr wrote:... Also, some folks did not grow up with a computer as their first toy so maybe lacking in knowledge

I don't think that Prepar3d is that much harder to us than FSX.

What you often see on the Prepar3d forums are absolute beginners, with NO idea of how to use s flight sim, asking rank beginner questions.

What they don't get, is that FSX/P3d ARE NOT GAMES.. The skills needed to kill monsters, or drive around a sim race track, are not useful in a flight sim.

In the end, YOU, have to learn how to get the best out of whatever flight sim you want to use.

Or give up and go back to whatever game you're good at. :confusion-shrug:

Prepar3d IS better, in a number of ways. But FSX: Steam Edition is better than FSX too.

That's not to say that there aren't differences.

Me? I have FSX installed but almost never use it. I like Prepar3d MUCH better, and I have a computer good enough to take advantage of it.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby ftldave » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:15 pm

wlrjr wrote:P3d is merely a re-work of FSX. Do you really think it is designed for training use?

Yes, because that's exactly what Lockheed-Martin says it's for, created and sold for a limited, specific audience. Since you can read, you can see that fact with your own eyes. It's in clear, readable print, item number one:

"Please read the following ..."

:)
ftldave
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby zswobbie1 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:02 am

Just remember... FSX was developed by Aces Gaming Studio, & was sold in Gaming Shops!
FSX:SE is a slightly modified version of FSX, modified by the same guys that gave us a train sim & a fishing sim, & is distributed by the largest gaming distributor. Development is frozen!
P3D is based on the original professional version of FSX, called ESP, & is now been modified about 12 times, as opposed to the bog standard FSX:SE, & is constantly being upgraded & updated by Lockheed Martin
This product is officially licensed to be used in professional training devices. We, the simmers, have taken advantage of LM to turn a blind eye when gamers/simmers & others that do not fall within their EULA.

So, gamers, simmers whatever.... READ what ftldave says!!!
Call it what you will, basically, (very), FSX is a game that simulates a simutation!
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby wlrjr » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:53 am

Do you fly for real? If so, where and what a/c? :)

Yes. Rotorwing, former military/civilian(crop-dusting) and as zswobbie1 stated FSX as well as P3d are simulations of a simulator. Nothing else
This thread has gotten somewhat off track. My complaint was that Microsoft will no longer ACTIVATE FSX should you have to reinstall.
wlrjr
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby wlrjr » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:01 am

ftldave wrote:
wlrjr wrote:P3d is merely a re-work of FSX. Do you really think it is designed for training use?

Yes, because that's exactly what Lockheed-Martin says it's for, created and sold for a limited, specific audience. Since you can read, you can see that fact with your own eyes. It's in clear, readable print, item number one:

"Please read the following ..."

:)
Have you ever heard of "non-compete agreements"?
wlrjr
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby garymbuska » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:09 am

I recently had to reinstall FSX and ran in to problems because I had forgotten about the license reset tool you have to run before you can reinstall it. Than I had a problem because the reset tool was not working and found out the instructions left out one very important detail. The instructions tell you you have to use the run command but forgot to mention that you have to use the ADMIN Run command in order for it to work. But that was not a Microsoft issue but a third party person trying to show you how to use the rest tool but forgot about the admin run command.
Have you ever been in a group of people and started a simple little story about Bill going to the store to buy a loaf of bread, By the time it gets back to you Bill wil have come back with half of the store. Human nature is the culprit here. You hear something and than when you go to repeat what you heard you forget and add a item or two to make the story sound better.
As a whole Microsoft has not done a bad job now granted I do not under stand why they felt it was necessary to lock up the Programs File (86) Folder like they do. I can only hope it was not done out of spite. I also know that they removed some of the older commands which is why some older programs will no longer install. I lost My Captain Sim B727 because of that issue. But the manufacturer gave me a different version that will run so no big deal.
One has to remember that as software changes from 32 bit to 64 bit the 32 bit programs will stop working at some time or another. We just have to wait for the third party developers to update their software to 64 bit which could take some time.
8-)
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby wlrjr » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:36 am

garymbuska wrote:I recently had to reinstall FSX and ran in to problems because I had forgotten about the license reset tool you have to run before you can reinstall it. Than I had a problem because the reset tool was not working and found out the instructions left out one very important detail. The instructions tell you you have to use the run command but forgot to mention that you have to use the ADMIN Run command in order for it to work. But that was not a Microsoft issue but a third party person trying to show you how to use the rest tool but forgot about the admin run command.
Have you ever been in a group of people and started a simple little story about Bill going to the store to buy a loaf of bread, By the time it gets back to you Bill wil have come back with half of the store. Human nature is the culprit here. You hear something and than when you go to repeat what you heard you forget and add a item or two to make the story sound better.
As a whole Microsoft has not done a bad job now granted I do not under stand why they felt it was necessary to lock up the Programs File (86) Folder like they do. I can only hope it was not done out of spite. I also know that they removed some of the older commands which is why some older programs will no longer install. I lost My Captain Sim B727 because of that issue. But the manufacturer gave me a different version that will run so no big deal.
One has to remember that as software changes from 32 bit to 64 bit the 32 bit programs will stop working at some time or another. We just have to wait for the third party developers to update their software to 64 bit which could take some time.
8-)

Good information. Thanks
wlrjr
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby wlrjr » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:04 am

garymbuska wrote:I recently had to reinstall FSX and ran in to problems because I had forgotten about the license reset tool you have to run before you can reinstall it. Than I had a problem because the reset tool was not working and found out the instructions left out one very important detail. The instructions tell you you have to use the run command but forgot to mention that you have to use the ADMIN Run command in order for it to work. But that was not a Microsoft issue but a third party person trying to show you how to use the rest tool but forgot about the admin run command.
8-)

If I may ask, where did you find the Software Licensing System Reset Tool? Microsoft has removed it from their download list. Imagine that :D
wlrjr
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby garymbuska » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:58 am

wlrjr wrote:
8-)

If I may ask, where did you find the Software Licensing System Reset Tool? Microsoft has removed it from their download list. Imagine that :D

It took me a while to find it as you discovered the Microsoft link does not work anymore but I found it another way https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads ... etsldlexe/
Just remember you have to use the ADMIN run command or it will not work. The first thing you want to do after you have downloaded is to unzip it. Then you will have to use DOS commands in order to run it Just follow the instructions it is not that hard. You have to be inside of the folder that MSKB928080.exe is located which means once you open the ADMIN run command you will have to change directories but the instructions will show you how to do that it is safe and simple.
Once you run it if you have to run it again you will have to unzip the file again as it is a one time use only.
<<r
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Roypcox » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:08 am

OAM you have a really nice set up, I know you must be very proud of it!!! Roy
Roypcox
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Next

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam