Object Placement

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Object Placement

Postby gordie3640 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:49 pm

Am I just too ignorant or is anyone else having trouble with FSX SDK? I just want to plant some local landmarks, water tower, lighthouse, etc. around my usual flying neighborhood. I used it successfully on an old PC with Windows 8 but I can't make it work on my new PC with Windows 10.
gordie3640
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Object Placement

Postby Dave T » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:37 am

Not sure about windows 10 but to install the sdk for FSX you need to find your installation DVD's

Install sdk.msi from fsx disk1 and run as admin
Install sdk.msi from accel disk
install fsx_sdk_sp1a.exe from accel disk

to make it work you have to add the following to the dll.xml using notepad located in default location and is a hidden file so you will have to check show hidden files C:\Users\pcname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Object Placement Tool</Name>
<Disabled>False</Disabled>
<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\Object_Placement.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Traffic Toolbox</Name>
<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Visual Effects Tool</Name>
<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>

If you have done it right tools will appear in the menu bar in fsx you might have to alter the paths if you have installed to a different location. When using the placement tool use windowed mode alt+enter and when you have finished alt+enter back to full screen mode.
Dave T
Major
Major

Postby gordie3640 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:21 pm

Thank you for taking the time. I don't have an "accel" disk.
gordie3640
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Dave T » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:30 am

Ok which version do you have?
Have you installed the sdk from your installation disk and does object placement show up in the tools section of the menu bar?
If not you will still have to add
<Launch.Addon>
<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\Object_Placement.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>

to the dll.xml for it to show up, Use object placement tool in windowed mode.
Dave T
Major
Major

Postby gordie3640 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:58 am

Sorry I took so long to reply. I had all of this working on my previous computer.
I'm running FSX Deluxe edition on windows 10.
I have installed SDK. I have SPs 1 & 2 installed
I have no object placement showing
I have no dll.xml present in the designated location.

The instructions are so complicated that I don't understand how I was ever able to put a lighthouse on the North pier in Kenosha, WI.
gordie3640
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Dave T » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:03 pm

Did you install the sdk as admin W7/W8/W10 can be a bit cranky when installing programs. Have you searched hidden files on your drive for dll.xml?
Is Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 and Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package installed?
Have a look on fsdeveloper sdk installation FSX for more info on installing the SDK.
Last edited by Dave T on Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave T
Major
Major

Postby gordie3640 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:23 pm

Sorry it takes me so long. I request email notification but have't received any.
I found the dll.xml and changed all the "trues" to "False". Still no tools
gordie3640
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Dave T » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:27 pm

can you pm me the text in the xml use notepad and the path to your sdk installation? Sent you pm check your messages Dave.
Dave T
Major
Major

Postby Dave T » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:53 pm

You have to add this under the last entry and before simbase document

<Launch.Addon>
</Launch.Addon>

and check that the path to the object placement.dll is correct <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\Object_Placement.dll</Path>

to send me pm click on the little blue envelope under Lincolnshire.
Dave T
Major
Major

Postby Dave T » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:06 pm

Double check that the location of the object placement dll is the correct location on your computer if not change the path <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\Object_Placement.dll</Path> to your location if it is in a different place. Hopefully tools will show up in the drop down menu in fsx.
Dave T
Major
Major

Postby Dave T » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:01 pm

Check your inbox Dave. This is missing from the top of the xml <?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?> and the paths are not the full paths like this C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\Object_Placement.dll. Make the changes to the path and add <?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?> to the top of the xml. Change your paths <Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\object_placement.dll</Path> to the full path C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\Object_Placement.dll but make sure the location is correct for your computer good luck.
Dave T
Major
Major

Postby Dave T » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:37 pm

Check your messages sent you the modified text for xml.
Dave T
Major
Major

Postby gordie3640 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:00 pm

Thank you for the complete text. I really appreciate it. I hope I'm only one problem away. I logged in as admin and ,using notepad, I went to the folder. I inserted your text below the existing text and when I was sure I had it, I deleted the original and tried to save the file. I get a message saying "access denied." I thought my admin login would would give me all access.
gordie3640
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Dave T » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:15 pm

Move the xml to desktop make the alterations and then put it back in its original position use notepad to modify the text.
Dave T
Major
Major

Postby gordie3640 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:02 pm

Well, this is really a character-building experience. Still no "Tools"..I notice that there is an object placement dll. That's all I'm trying to do. I'm not going on any missions. Does FsPilotShop have software to add objects?
gordie3640
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Next

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam