Object Placement

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Re: Object Placement

Postby Dave T » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:05 pm

One last thing have you run the ConfigSDK.exe located in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK folder?
Dave T
Major
Major

Postby gordie3640 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:58 am

Well, I'm going to put this baby to bed. I knew I had placed objects around my home base and other landmarks in my area. It's called "Scenery Shortcut" by ABACUS. I downloaded it on 5/22/2014. They still have a record of it. That's the good news. the bad news is it doesn't work in Windows 10. Oh well. I thanks everyone who tried to help me. I never did get an email notification of replies.
gordie3640
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Dave T » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:41 am

Look in the trusted section of the fsx cfg and see if three entries for object placement.dll, traffic toolbox dll, visualfxtool.dll are present that relate to the sdk and that they end in=1
Dave T
Major
Major

Postby Dave T » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:26 pm

Can you confirm the paths are correct in the messages I have sent you by pm are correct for your computer. Have a quick look at fsdeveloper sdk installation and trouble shooting guides.
Dave T
Major
Major

Postby gordie3640 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:57 pm

Would one of you developers be willing to look at my dll.xml? It is located in c:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
<Descr>Launch</Descr>
<Filename>dll.xml</Filename>
<Disabled>False</Disabled>
<Launch.ManualLoad>True</Launch.ManualLoad>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Object Placement Tool</Name>
<ManualLoad>True</ManualLoad>
<Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\object_placement.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Traffic Toolbox</Name>
<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
<Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Visual Effects Tool</Name>
<ManualLoad>True</ManualLoad>
<Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\Object_Placement.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>

thank you very much, in advance.
gordie3640
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Dave T » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:12 pm

Replace your text in your xml with the text below and see if it works

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
<Descr>Launch</Descr>
<Filename>dll.xml</Filename>
<Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
<Launch.Addon>
<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\Object_Placement.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Visual Effects Tool</Name>
<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

Please check that the paths are correct for your installation C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll
Dave T
Major
Major

Postby gordie3640 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:04 pm

Well, I have good new and bad news. The good news is that a lot of gracious, experienced simmers have responded to my dilemma. The bad news is that a lot of gracious, experienced simmers have responded to my dilemma. :violin: Now I have such a variety of "solutions" that I have no solutions. Like someone advised, I should never fly around familiar ground.
gordie3640
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:31 pm

I've finally managed to download & install Scenery Shortcut.

It took a while to set up the FSX SDK so that the Tools option displays on the FSX menu bar but I can confirm that all works as advertised on my system.
I have FSX Gold + Acceleration running on Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

Now I have such a variety of "solutions" that I have no solutions.

Please follow Dave T's advice, especially regarding the full path to Object_Placement.dll in dll.xml.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:50 pm

gordie3640 wrote:I'm running FSX Deluxe edition on windows 10.
I have installed SDK. I have SPs 1 & 2 installed.

I'm wondering if you need to install this update to the SDK. https://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/downloads/Pages/FSXSDK-SP2Update.aspx

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Dave T » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:39 pm

Hagar did you install the sdk in the default location or on drive C?
Dave T
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:10 pm

Dave T wrote:Hagar did you install the sdk in the default location or on drive C?

In the default location. This is C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK on my 64-bit system.
Note: My FSX is installed to C:\FSX

To elaborate: Following the instructions in this wiki http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=SDK_Installation_(FSX)
I installed the SDK from FSX Disk #1 to start with & after editing dll.xml no Tools option appeared on the FSX menu bar.
I then installed fsx_sdk_sp1a.exe from the Acceleration DVD with the same result.
It finally worked when I installed the Acceleration SP2/XPack SDK.

This is why I suggested that installing the SP2 SDK from my link might do the trick in gordie's case.
Note: He might need to install the SP1a SDK first https://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/downloads/Pages/FSXSoftwareDevelopmentKitUpdate.aspx

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Dave T » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:50 pm

That's the way I have installed the SDK on all of my computers from the fsx gold dvds. the first sdk from disk 1 and 2 from the accel disk with no problems but lots of other people do have problems installing the SDK for fsx. We will have to see if Gordie has managed to get it to work on his system.
Dave T
Major
Major

Postby gordie3640 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:30 am

Believe it or not, I'm still determined to see the word "Tools" appear at the top when I launch FSX. I started from scratch, uninstalling and installing FSX and SDK. I download the service pack for both. I made the corrections specified by Dave T (Thank you for everything). Now, I'm at what appears to be my final instruction. I tried to run ConfigSDK.exe. I get this message every time. "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available. [Close Program] I'm really happy that everything else is still functioning in spite of all my activity. Is there something I can do to fix this? Is there any chance that I will ever hear from "Windows?"
gordie3640
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Previous

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam