Piper Turbo Arrow Tune Nav 1

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Piper Turbo Arrow Tune Nav 1

Postby SIMTECH » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:53 pm

Regarding Vladimir's Turbo Arrow. I have many hours in a RW Turbo Arrow and, unlike this model, most of my experience involved King and Bendix comm/nav suites. So it is with much trepidation that I have to admit, How do I tune the Comm/Nav 1 radio. I see the control heads for CN2, DME, ADF, Audio panel, but I had to shoot an approach on CN2 using the Nav2 gauge(#8 in the users manual). I feel stupid. Thank you for pointing out my oversight. I'm looking forward to putting this issue at ease. I appreciate any and all comments.. yes, even that I'm a ding dong. Thank you.
SIMTECH
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Piper Turbo Arrow Tune Nav 1

Postby garymbuska » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:01 am

SIMTECH wrote:Regarding Vladimir's Turbo Arrow. I have many hours in a RW Turbo Arrow and, unlike this model, most of my experience involved King and Bendix comm/nav suites. So it is with much trepidation that I have to admit, How do I tune the Comm/Nav 1 radio. I see the control heads for CN2, DME, ADF, Audio panel, but I had to shoot an approach on CN2 using the Nav2 gauge(#8 in the users manual). I feel stupid. Thank you for pointing out my oversight. I'm looking forward to putting this issue at ease. I appreciate any and all comments.. yes, even that I'm a ding dong. Thank you.

This is more than likely due to an error in the aircraft cfg file. You want to look for the following lines and make sure they are identical to the lines below.
If you notice that Nav1 has three 1's which means it available has a stand by frequency and the glide slope is on nav 1.
Now if the radio in your plane does not have a standby frequency than you need to change the nav 1 line to read as follows 1,0,1
the same thing applies to nav 2 it should read as follows 1,0
This is a common mistake made. I f this does not solve your problem than you might have a gauge problem.
Some aircraft use what are called CAB files you have to put the entire folder in your gauge folder and not the individual gauges they will not work this way
You can tell because the line will look like this B747.cab
CAB is short for cabinet.

[Radios]
// Radio Type = availiable, standby frequency, has glide slope
Audio.1 = 1
Com.1 = 1, 1
Com.2 = 1, 1
Nav.1 = 1, 1, 1
Nav.2 = 1, 1, 0
Adf.1 = 1
Transponder.1 = 1
Marker.1 = 1

Hope this helps
<<u
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby SIMTECH » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:39 pm

Gary, thank you for the reply. I agree the Nav 1 has "3" 1's while the Nav 2 has 2 in the a/c config. My question is even more basic. Where or by what means do I use to change the frequency? I don't see a control head, and upon reading the manual, there is no mention of a control head for Com/ Nav 1. If it's changed by using the CN2 head, then I'm missing the switch. There should be one as the DME has a select switch to monitor either the Nav 1 or Nav 2. I'm totally embarrassed that it must be simple, but I don't get it.

Thank you for your reply. I apologize for my denseness.

Okay..Update. I can only find one mention of a Comm/Nav control gauge in the panel config. I temporarily placed a second one on the Cockpit screen upper left just for grins. I activated it, designated it Nav 1 and changed the frequency. I monitored the frequency of both Navs from the DME panel and they track. It appears, there should be a second control head posted in the panel config in the vc window. I'm still experimenting. But at least the "floating" control head works and my Nav 1 can be tuned. Having a little trouble putting it in the vc window, though.
SIMTECH
Ground hog
Ground hog

How to Tune Nav 1 in the Piper Turbo Arrow

Postby SIMTECH » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:02 pm

Not being able to find a suitable way to tune the Nav 1 frequencies, I installed a popup (shift+5) whereby I can tune the CN 1 radios. The Panel config. only has one Radio control head in the vc as opposed to other a/c (i.e. Mooney) that have two. I can't see this new control head in the cockpit, or vc view, but at least I can tune the comm-nav radios when I pop it up. I was not able to load the Garmin 530 gps, but installed the default Garmin 500 instead. Perhaps there's some other way the original author wished to control the two radios. Utilizing a switch similiar to Nav/GPS switch found in some aircraft using the one control head that does appear. Other than this, good little airplane, job well done.
SIMTECH
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby garymbuska » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:12 am

SIMTECH wrote:Gary, thank you for the reply. I agree the Nav 1 has "3" 1's while the Nav 2 has 2 in the a/c config. My question is even more basic. Where or by what means do I use to change the frequency? I don't see a control head, and upon reading the manual, there is no mention of a control head for Com/ Nav 1. If it's changed by using the CN2 head, then I'm missing the switch. There should be one as the DME has a select switch to monitor either the Nav 1 or Nav 2. I'm totally embarrassed that it must be simple, but I don't get it.

Thank you for your reply. I apologize for my denseness.

Okay..Update. I can only find one mention of a Comm/Nav control gauge in the panel config. I temporarily placed a second one on the Cockpit screen upper left just for grins. I activated it, designated it Nav 1 and changed the frequency. I monitored the frequency of both Navs from the DME panel and they track. It appears, there should be a second control head posted in the panel config in the vc window. I'm still experimenting. But at least the "floating" control head works and my Nav 1 can be tuned. Having a little trouble putting it in the vc window, though.

I have a plane or two that does not have a control knob to tune the radio with you just click on the actual numbers as you move your mouse from left to right you should see a + and a - and you just left click on that spot to change the frequency.
Your other option is to completely change the entire radio gauge. This may sound like a daunting task and it can be but it can be made very easy with the help of FSPANELSTUDIO. It is a payware program but well worth every penny. Trust me a two year old can edit or create an entire new panel on any aircraft. It uses a process called wysiwug. Which stands for What You See Is What You Get. It shows you the actual panel of the plane and allows you to simply drag and drop any gauge any where you want. If you really want to be able to edit or add panels windows or gauges to any aircraft in FSX FS9 or any series of Microsoft simulators. It does not get any easier than this no PHD required to use this program. To add a gauge you simply select the gauge you want to add put your mouse where you want it at than adjust the size of the gauge to fit and ht enter and that is it.
the other way to add a gauge involves you have to know the coordinates as to where to put it and you hope you get it right but you wont know till you run the program if it is right or wrong. This can be a painstaking process
below is the link
http://fspanelstudio.com/
There is a demo version.
With this program you can find out real quick if you are missing any gauges as it will let you know. 8-) <<r
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:54 am

As Gary says....

"FS Panel Studio" is worth its weight in gold for anyone who likes to play around with; "gauges"!

I add many useful add-ons to my instrument panels in most of my aircraft with its help!

Just remember, FS Panel Studio is designed to work mainly with 2D panels....(which I mainly use)!

(VC Panels are part of the Aeroplane design by the original designer, and are difficult to modify).

Paul..... :mrgreen: ...!

...and another reminder!...>>> http://www.fspanelstudio.com/
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby SIMTECH » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:22 pm

Hello, and thank you for both ideas. The fact is there is no control head, period, for CN 1. CN 2 is modeled ok with a Narco control. CN 1 is not. The idea of using FSpanelstudio is very intriguing but, there is no "real" 2D panel. Just an expanded "mini-panel" using seven aircraft authenic looking gauges. The original model does not have a full view 2D panel.
I'm using the popup without issue and even "installed" a trim gauge from the Mooney to get an idea where the elevator trim is set. A few performance adjustments to more accurately reflect the real world engine and it is flying much better. Thank you for your thoughts and ideas.
SIMTECH
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Fozzer » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:47 pm

An example what can be done with my FS Panel Studio to add a wealth of extra very useful bits and bobs to my otherwise very simple/sparse Cessna 150 instrument panel!

Everything you/I could ever need ....regardless of expense!.... :dance: ...!

Just a selection of various hole cutters required!... ;) ...!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ...!

...and how about my single seater Bensen Gyrocopter!....>>>

All extra stuff!.... :dance:....!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby SIMTECH » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:41 pm

Wow, Fozzer.. that's a couple of gorgeous panels. As I said, unfortunately, the 2D panel is only a strip of seven gauges ala mini-panel. The 3D cockpit is fairly complete, excepting the elevator trim and CN 1 control. On your 150, you have two control heads for each Comm/Nav. This one has only one and it controls CN 2. I thought it might be a dual system control, but for the life of me, can't see a selector switch and there's no mention in the well illustrated user's manual. Will FS Panels work with only seven gauges from scratch, or do I need at least a blank template to start with? That would be neat if I could totally built a panel from scratch.
SIMTECH
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby garymbuska » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:56 am

SIMTECH wrote:Wow, Fozzer.. that's a couple of gorgeous panels. As I said, unfortunately, the 2D panel is only a strip of seven gauges ala mini-panel. The 3D cockpit is fairly complete, excepting the elevator trim and CN 1 control. On your 150, you have two control heads for each Comm/Nav. This one has only one and it controls CN 2. I thought it might be a dual system control, but for the life of me, can't see a selector switch and there's no mention in the well illustrated user's manual. Will FS Panels work with only seven gauges from scratch, or do I need at least a blank template to start with? That would be neat if I could totally built a panel from scratch.

You might have to make what is called a bit map file but with FS Panel Studio you can make your own custom panel though it is a little tricky but not difficult at all. It comes with a through manual that describes step by step on how to make and adjust panels. In most cases all you have to do is to adjust the original bit map file or to adjust the panel the way you want it to be.
When I think of a bit map file I think of a piece of wood or plastic with different size hole in it those holes are where you put your gauges in. But if one does not fit in the hole you want it all you have to do is to adjust the hole or the gauge depending on which one looks better. But since you are seeing the actual you will see in FS it takes all of the guess work out of it.
As Fozzer stated this will not work with 3D panels as they are part of the original aircraft design the only way to alter them would be to have the original files from the designer and than a compiler to remake the aircraft with, and trust me that is something that is easier said than done. Most people have no idea as to what it takes to design an aircraft. Simply stated it is not a task for the inexperienced person to take on. I tried it once using GMAX and nearly went bald trying to make the aircraft that was part of a tutorial. No matter what I did I just could not figure out how they were doing that. I did manage to make a building which was no easy task I use it as a line shack at my home airport KJAX. It even has night textures.
<<u 8-)
Gary M Buska
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby SIMTECH » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:15 pm

:clap: I went to the Fs Studio site and the product seems like it might work. I could take a panel from another aircraft and mode it to fit the Arrow. I appreciate the lead to this software. I can see many uses for it. I can at least download the demo. Thanks to all for the tip.
SIMTECH
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Fozzer » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:14 pm

SIMTECH wrote::clap: I went to the Fs Studio site and the product seems like it might work. I could take a panel from another aircraft and mode it to fit the Arrow. I appreciate the lead to this software. I can see many uses for it. I can at least download the demo. Thanks to all for the tip.

You can have hours of fun now modifying panels to your own design!

(Just remember its use is mainly for 2D panels).... ;) ...!

Well worth a purchase!

Paul.... :D ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam