Avionics KTS is not the same as Shift + Z Detected KTS

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Avionics KTS is not the same as Shift + Z Detected KTS

Postby TheLastFlightToMNL » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:23 am

So, i'm flying this domestic route from Brisbane to Great Barrier Reef Airport in a Chris Evans Jetstar A320, and i notice that the two airspeeds are not the same. So i turn on the Pito heater and it fixes it's self. 20 minutes later the pito heat is still running and the avionics speed shown has again shown a difference.
TheLastFlightToMNL
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Avionics KTS is not the same as Shift + Z Detected KTS

Postby garymbuska » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:38 am

TheLastFlightToMNL wrote:So, i'm flying this domestic route from Brisbane to Great Barrier Reef Airport in a Chris Evans Jetstar A320, and i notice that the two airspeeds are not the same. So i turn on the Pito heater and it fixes it's self. 20 minutes later the pito heat is still running and the avionics speed shown has again shown a difference.

Not enough information here. what altitude were you at and is your generator running. In most aircraft the pitot heat uses the battery and that will eventually die. But you usually notice other thing not working as well like the radio.
And which airspeeds are you talking about. There is TRUE AIRSPEED CALCULATED AIRSPEED and Ground speed. just to name a few. There are times when two can be the same but it does not happen that often and usually does not last long. Head or tail winds effect TRUE AIRSPEED where a cross wind might not effect it that much.

Okay silly me did not pay attention to the Question. I would not worry about it like I said head winds and tail winds can effect that and I am not sure if shift +Z takes that into account you will also notice that the altitude it shows is hardly ever the same as what your altimeter says. I am pretty sure that is because it is ignoring the pressure. I think it uses 29.92 but I am not 100% sure.
I only use shift+z to tell me heading and frame rates.
<<u
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby TheLastFlightToMNL » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:12 am

Ah ok thanks, I have begun to start trusting the Indicated Airspeed more. Also, I try to avoid the clouds. (If you get the reference you are overthinking this)
TheLastFlightToMNL
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby napamule » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:39 am

As a matter of habit I will press the 'B' key to 'reset' altimeter (to 29.92) when I am going to be flying FL300 or more. And the pitot heat, which is 'Shift+H'. When I have the flying tips on it will remind me to press 'D' to reset my heading indicator. Don't know anything about relationship of 'Shift +Z' to any gauges or instruments as I only use it as a compass (quick heading check). I HAVE to assume you don't use a Check List. Right? Right. I don't either so it's mostly (fact based) FEAR that makes me do the above.
Chuck B
Napamule
Edit: I fly thru clouds all the time at lower altitudes (so sue me). And they don't offer any resistance (as far as I know (hehe)). But they DO swirl and get blown aside (neat) when you fly thru them. Try it.
napamule
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby garymbuska » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:37 am

napamule wrote:As a matter of habit I will press the 'B' key to 'reset' altimeter (to 29.92) when I am going to be flying FL300 or more. And the pitot heat, which is 'Shift+H'. When I have the flying tips on it will remind me to press 'D' to reset my heading indicator. Don't know anything about relationship of 'Shift +Z' to any gauges or instruments as I only use it as a compass (quick heading check). I HAVE to assume you don't use a Check List. Right? Right. I don't either so it's mostly (fact based) FEAR that makes me do the above.
Chuck B
Napamule
Edit: I fly thru clouds all the time at lower altitudes (so sue me). And they don't offer any resistance (as far as I know (hehe)). But they DO swirl and get blown aside (neat) when you fly thru them. Try it.

29.92 is the standard pressure for any altitude above 18,000 feet . Below that altitude it can change quickly and often as you fly.
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby napamule » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:39 pm

Well in that case I will AVOID (at all costs) pressing the 'B' key UNLESS I am (actually) flying AT or ABOVE 18,000 ft and NEVER, EVER, pressing if I am flying BELOW 18,000 ft. (Or, at least DON'T TELL anyone if I do - Right?). Cheesh.
napamule
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby garymbuska » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:01 am

napamule wrote:Well in that case I will AVOID (at all costs) pressing the 'B' key UNLESS I am (actually) flying AT or ABOVE 18,000 ft and NEVER, EVER, pressing if I am flying BELOW 18,000 ft. (Or, at least DON'T TELL anyone if I do - Right?). Cheesh.

Not paying attention to the pressure can get you in a MOUTAIN of trouble :lol: Literally. I have flying tips turned on and it will let you know if your altimeter is not set correctly. Also ATC will always tell you what the current altimeter is if you are below 18,000 feet. Places like Jackson Hole Wyoming is a place where you better have your altimeter set correctly as you will crash into a mountain. Why do you think it is called Jackson Hole It is because it is literally in a Hole.
there are 17.000 feet and higher mountains all around it. It makes a interesting landing in anything other than clear weather. One of my favorite places to fly into.
Gary M Buska
garymbuska
Major
Major

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam