fsx.cfg [TRUSTED] Experiment..

FSX including FSX Steam version.

fsx.cfg [TRUSTED] Experiment..

Postby Sprocket » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:45 am

In my fsx.cfg file, I had an excesively long [Trusted] section. :think:

With time many lines/entries in the fsx.cfg/[Trusted] section become obsolete, not in use anymore and thus orphaned.
(Deleted or removed AC, tried and forgotten utilities etc. -- Entries in the [TRUSTED] stay behind though.)

Also, as new aircraft are added, more permissions are requested and more lines are added.

Not wanting to tamper with my cfg, but wanting to refresh the [Trusted], I made an experiment:

1. Made back-up copy of my fsx.cfg file
2. Deleted each and every entry under the [Trusted] section.
3. Launched FSX.

And it works
: On launch, FSX immediately requested permissions for ORBX, fsrecorder, fsuipc etc, and then also for the currently active aircraft's gauges etc.
(Relevant lines written back into file once again.)

Had a quick flight and all is well.

The [TRUSTED] is now "back to basics", without me touching the rest of the cfg file.
From here onwards, as a new AC is selected/added, permissions are requested, and the file rebuilt once again only as needed.
Thus every line again is with purpose and all the junk has been removed.

To start with, I did not really know if there would be any advantage in all of this, but one thing I can clearly notice, is FSX launches much quicker than it has done in the recent past..

For what it is worth,
Jan
Sprocket
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: fsx.cfg [TRUSTED] Experiment..

Postby Flying Trucker » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:02 am

Thanks Jan for Posting that, I found that very interesting.

Now I have a question for you if you don't mind answering:

Windows 10 and Microsoft FSX Deluxe/Acceleration

User Account Control
This keeps popping up when I check ORBX, REX and FSWC (Flight Simulator Water Configurator) or any other program.
It asks:
"Do you want to allow this APP to make changes to your device?"

Now the setting I have already set by ORBX, REX and FSWC into FSX should stay when I end a simulated flight I hope.

When I restart a simulated flight I would hope those settings are still valid or active in FSX but are they :?:

OR

Do I have to open ORBX, REX and FSWC and reset the settings for FSX every time :?:

Took a look at the Control Panel and I think it was User Account Control (not sure) but the Slider moves up and down.
The very bottom position on the Slider says Not Recommended, but I am thinking this does away with this annoying box "User Account Control" popping up all the time I go to an add-on.
However I guess some security is lost.

Any comments on this would be most appreciated and will look into what you have done in your above post...Thanks...Doug
Cheers...Happy Landings...Doug
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Sprocket » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:05 pm

Flying Trucker wrote:Do I have to open ORBX, REX and FSWC and reset the settings for FSX every time

Doug, no you should not have to re-do and reset settings every time.. once its done it should stay.
I had a look at my User Account settings, and see it is right at the bottom. Don't know when or if I ever set it there myself.

But I have no problems as it is and will leave it there.

I suggest you try the "bottom" setting" and see if it solves your problem. That should at least give you an indication whether it is the culprit or not.

Jan
Sprocket
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby pegger » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:15 pm

Good to know about this, thanks Sprocket

I also resently had to do a clean up of the dll.xml file to rid my fsx install of unused files. The problem was dll files from apps that i did not want anymore, and fsx would take forever to load.

While i won't go into the details about how to disable these dll files, let it be known that my fsx load time on start-up went from almost a minute, to about 7 seconds now.

There is something to be said for keeping your sim install neat and tidy!
pegger
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:10 pm

The equivalent file, Prepar3D.cfg, doesn't have that section in it. Searching the internet, I can't find any mention of it in P3d.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Flying Trucker » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:45 pm

OK...Thanks Jan... <<q
Cheers...Happy Landings...Doug
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Sprocket » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:42 am

OldAirmail wrote:The equivalent file, Prepar3D.cfg, doesn't have that section in it. Searching the internet, I can't find any mention of it in P3d.

Well that's interesting. I wonder then if they "modified" P3D because of this "bloating"?
In any event, I now see that people have had issues with FSX [trusted] before. I am clearly not the first to pick up on it.

Nothing is ever new in the world, is it?

Jan
Sprocket
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Sprocket » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:43 am

Flying Trucker wrote:OK...Thanks Jan... <<q

Let us know what you find? Always helpful to learn from experiences.

Jan
Sprocket
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:08 am

Sprocket wrote:....

Well that's interesting. I wonder then if they "modified" P3D because of this "bloating"?
In any event, I now see that people have had issues with FSX [trusted] before. I am clearly not the first to pick up on it.

Nothing is ever new in the world, is it?

Jan

Prepar3d does do a little bit of housekeeping that's is noticeable.

The biggest one that I've noticed is about the scenery. If some scenery is removed, P3d will tell you that it's missing and ask if you want to delete that entry. I think that, that's a nice touch, giving you an option to repair the problem later, or let the software clean it up

As to the "trusted" question, it's hard to remember the last time that "Prepar3d" asked that question. I think that when it does happen, it's part of Windows security.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby garymbuska » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:56 pm

Another way around this is do not install FSX in the default location. Now I know you can turn down the user account control But I prefer not to go through all of that and since I have a total of 3 hard drives to choose from It is easier to install on a separate disk. And beside it works better this way because your system can process it faster this way.
When you have any program installed on the same drive as your operating system it will be slower if you did not have it in the same drive unless you have a solid state drive. Now mind you there is not a whole lot of differences. But when it comes to programs like FSX which require more CPU time than your run of the mill program it can make a difference.
And beside that there might be another reason why Microsoft treats the program files folder as a system disk that none of us are aware of.
I really doubt they did this just to make the average user mad or frustrated. But than again one never knows 8-)
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam