Contact Points

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Contact Points

Postby garymbuska » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:36 am

Okay has anyone ever heard of defining contact points in the model file of an aircraft?
:?: :think:
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Re: Contact Points

Postby Xyn_Air » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:41 am

garymbuska wrote:Okay has anyone ever heard of defining contact points in the model file of an aircraft?

OK, dumb question here (probably), but what are 'contact points' in FSX, specifically? Are these like hard points where things would attach (such as an external fuel tank or a jet bridge), or is this more like a 'hit box' that defines the, um, physical space the model takes up in the FSX world (and thus would define when an aircraft comes into contact with another object)?

Sorry this is a question and not an answer, but it has me wondering...
Xyn_Air
Captain
Captain

Postby garymbuska » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:01 am

Xyn_Air wrote:
garymbuska wrote:Okay has anyone ever heard of defining contact points in the model file of an aircraft?

OK, dumb question here (probably), but what are 'contact points' in FSX, specifically? Are these like hard points where things would attach (such as an external fuel tank or a jet bridge), or is this more like a 'hit box' that defines the, um, physical space the model takes up in the FSX world (and thus would define when an aircraft comes into contact with another object)?

Sorry this is a question and not an answer, but it has me wondering...

There is no such thing here as a dumb question. Contact points are normally found in the Aircraft CFG file of every aircraft they are what the sim uses to place the aircraft on the ground if not defined correctly when you select the aircraft it can show either with the landing gear partially buried completely buried or even float above the ground which really looks strange, And they can cause all kinds of strange problems because you have to define every landing gear on the aircraft in a very particular way. In the aircraft I am talking the plane was buried all the way up to the bottom of the wings you could not even see the engines and than it spun like a top. The cause was no contact points defined at all which means the sim has no clue as to how to display it. This really looked strange.

I hope that answer your question. And don't ever hesitate to ask any question here. That is what this forum is for 8-)
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:03 am

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam