panel

FSX including FSX Steam version.

panel

Postby yancovitch » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:33 pm

have alphasim-virtavia's c-17....but no panel shows, although the panel folder is there.....?
yancovitch
Major
Major

Location: born montreal, lived vancouver, now live in burns lake bc.

Re: panel

Postby garymbuska » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:57 pm

yancovitch wrote:have alphasim-virtavia's c-17....but no panel shows, although the panel folder is there.....?

Look inside of the panel folder for a panel.cfgfile open it and see if there is a line that looks like this panel =alias B737-400
The odds are it is using a panel from a aircraft that you do not have which is why there is no panel
This is common with Freeware
<<u
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby pete » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:01 pm

Can you please be specific about what aircraft you are talking about?

The odds are it is using a panel from a aircraft that you do not have which is why there is no panel

Actually it's quite rare these days. Most freeware, at simviation at least, comes with virtual cockpits and own sound packs.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby garymbuska » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:00 am

pete wrote:Can you please be specific about what aircraft you are talking about?

Actually it's quite rare these days. Most freeware, at simviation at least, comes with virtual cockpits and own sound packs.

All I know just about everyone I download does not either have its own panel or its own sound files
I down loaded a B727 the other day that was using an auto installer and I was leery about it when I installed it I could not find the anywhere on my system. I even searched all three of my hard drives for it and no luck
The problem is I have no idea as to what the name of the file was so it was like looking for a needle in a huge hay stack.
One of the reasons to stay away for auto installers you never know what or where it will install.
I used the search method looking for B727 FS2004 Civil Jets this is on the 3rd page 5th item on the list
below is where I tried to copy the link not sure if it is right
javascript:openWindow('download-file?file=TVACB727QW.zip&fileId=8982',%20800,%20400);void(0)
I wound up uninstalling it
:?:
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:04 am

I think the Virtavia C-17 is Payware. http://www.virtavia.com/gallery_C-17.html

It might not have a 2D panel.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby garymbuska » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:47 pm

This is an awesome airplane I have seen them in real life and the only thing that is bigger is the ANTOIV 225 but this is the worlds largest cargo aircraft . It is like a flying hanger
I got the below information off the web page for it
if you have never seen this is is worth a look
This is truly a remarkable aircraft.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/flight/a2951/1280771/

SPECIFICATIONSOfficial Name: An-225, MriyaWingspan: 290 ft.Length: 275 ft. 7 in.Height: 59 ft. 8-1/2 in.Cargo Hold: Length: 141 ft.;
Width: 21 ft.;
Height: 14 ft. 5-1/4 in.Engines: Six ZMKB Progress Lotarev D-18T turbofans each producing 51,590 lb. of thrustCrew: 7Max Takeoff Weight: 1,322,750 lb.Max Payload: 551,150 lb.Cruising Speed: 497 mphMax Speed: 528 mphRange With Max Payload: 2813 milesRange With Max Fuel: 9625 miles

When I used to work at KJAX we had the smaller version come in from time o time and I drove a 10,000 gallon fuel truck and once hooked up I had to have several smaller trucks bring me fuel as 10,000 gallons did not even put a dent in it. It would take anywhere from 25,000 gallons to 40,000 gallons of gas and that was not even half full.
If you do not know a gallon of gas weighs a standard weight of 6 lbs. It varies depending on altitude but 6lbs is the standard weight for weight and balance purposes. So 40,00 gallons would weigh 240,000 pounds
That is enough gas to drive just about every car on this planet for a long time. It would take an hour easily to put fuel on this aircraft.
Most people do not know how much fuel a typical aircraft can hold.
<<u
Gary M Buska
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:04 pm

garymbuska wrote:All I know just about everyone I download does not either have its own panel or its own sound files
I down loaded a B727 the other day that was using an auto installer and I was leery about it when I installed it I could not find the anywhere on my system. I even searched all three of my hard drives for it and no luck
The problem is I have no idea as to what the name of the file was so it was like looking for a needle in a huge hay stack.
One of the reasons to stay away for auto installers you never know what or where it will install.
I used the search method looking for B727 FS2004 Civil Jets this is on the 3rd page 5th item on the list
below is where I tried to copy the link not sure if it is right
javascript:openWindow('download-file?file=TVACB727QW.zip&fileId=8982',%20800,%20400);void(0)
I wound up uninstalling it
:?:

I presume you mean this one? http://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=TVACB727QW.zip&categoryId=&filename=Y

I checked it out for you. It's not possible to redirect the auto-install path which would normally mean that I go no further.
However, I went ahead with it & found it installed to my FS2004\Aircraft folder. (My FS2004 is not installed to the default location.)
The folder name of the 727 is Vans B727-200QW. The panel & sound are aliased to the FS9 default B737_400.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby yancovitch » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:49 pm

yes....this is my favorite biggy!!.......great design! which has quite an emotional impact too....
the panel.cfg won't open....there's a virtavia_c-17.cab whatever that is :) sorry:).....
oh...i tried downloading the c-17 from simviation and place it's panel in my payware alpasim one, but it didn't work either.....
yancovitch
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:59 am

yancovitch wrote:yes....this is my favorite biggy!!.......great design! which has quite an emotional impact too....
the panel.cfg won't open....there's a virtavia_c-17.cab whatever that is :) sorry:).....
oh...i tried downloading the c-17 from simviation and place it's panel in my payware alpasim one, but it didn't work either.....

I can't check this out without purchasing it which I'm not prepared to do. My first step for help with problems would be to email Virtavia support.
tech.support -at- virtavia.com

You should be able to open any CFG file in Notepad. virtavia_c-17.cab will be an XML gauge.
The 2D panel from a different aircraft should work in any other aircraft but the VC entries will not.

PS. Are you sure you're selecting the correct C-17 on the FSX Aircraft menu?

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby RAFSB » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:22 am

I just checked my FSX SimObjects folder just to be sure I have the Virtavia C-17 and it comes with both the 2D and virtual cockpits. I had no problem with the auto installer.
RAFSB
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby garymbuska » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:31 am

yancovitch wrote:yes....this is my favorite biggy!!.......great design! which has quite an emotional impact too....

A cab file is called a cabinet file and the entire folder has to be put in your gauge folder as is do not open it and insert the separate gauges as this will not work
cab file are common now a days you will see one in the default B737-300 and the B747-400 aircraft as well
inside the panel cfg file is where the individual files are used in a unique format
Think of a filling cabinet and inside the filling cabinet are single files this works the same way. You have to open the filling cabinet in order to get the individual file you need.
8-)
Gary M Buska
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby yancovitch » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:49 am

grateful for the responses ...thank you....................
yancovitch
Major
Major

Postby garymbuska » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:53 am

One other note
You should be able to put any panel in any airplane but you have to replace the entire panel folder because inside of the panel folder you will find a panel.cfg file and it will have the name of the file to use for the panel so if you left that panel cfg file there and just copied another panel from a different plane it would not work because of the panel cfg file is still looking for the other panel. You would probably not see anything at all for a panel. 8-)
Gary M Buska
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby yancovitch » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:50 pm

hmmmmm.....virtavia tech kindly sent me the latest version III.......but....sill no cockpit..i only get tower and spot views......i emailed them back for help......we'll see.....
yancovitch
Major
Major

Postby yancovitch » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:35 pm

naaa. even tech at virtavia is scratching his head...so surprised he responded so quickly....s key just toggles between spot and tower views.....the only time i get a cessna panel, is if i choose cockpit in the views menue in fsx....which i don't want of course.....may have to buy a new computer :)

i even coppied the cab. file in the panel folder and placed it in the fsx gauges folder, but it didn't make any difference.....
yancovitch
Major
Major

Next

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam