ILS setting correct but.....

FSX including FSX Steam version.

ILS setting correct but.....

Postby gerrydog65 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:47 pm

In pictures obviously short and off runway at KIND 32 ILS
And it seems hard to catch the vertical as the magenta diamond comes down,
In this picture the diamond is up and should be down as I am on ground?
Whats up secrets to catch ISL besides being below when activating APP ?
Does the aircraft matter? addon or default fsx?

Thanks for any help with ILS FSX SE
Attachments
ils 2.jpg
ils 2.jpg (144.6 KiB) Viewed 1025 times
gerrydog65
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: ILS setting correct but.....

Postby Roypcox » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:23 am

ILS is hard to catch on 40 degrees or more you are going to have to get closer to the locater beacon to pick it up. Hope this helps!!!
Roypcox
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Roypcox » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:05 pm

In regards to my last post let me make it very clear that I am no expert but we have plenty of great experts that may have a better way to answer.
Roypcox
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby gerrydog65 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:09 pm

It seems that it is specific to the aircraft I was flying. Using a default fsx se aircraft no problems.
So How do I know if an addon aircraft is ILS capable.

Thanks for your input past and future !!!!
gerrydog65
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby clarenceover » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:13 pm

"In this picture the diamond is up and should be down as I am on ground? "

If you are on the ground, the diamond which represents the glide-slope correctly shows well above you. i.e you are well below it! When flying, follow the diamond. Above you, go up, or stop descending, below you, cut the power and go down!

The illuminated caption visible on the panel 'Below G/S' would back this up!
clarenceover
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Xyn_Air » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:53 pm

Which aircraft are you using? This looks similar to the cockpit I use in the 737 add-on aircraft I fly. That said, I know some cockpit/gauge/panel layouts are shared across various models sometimes for the sake of simplicity and/or convenience.

The reason I ask is your speed setting is very, very low. 125knots? Even with low weight and flaps at 25, you wouldn't want to be using auto-throttle for anything under 140knots. I realize your final landing speed will be less than that, but by that point you would be manually adjusting the throttles.

Anyway, at first glance, it looks like your speed is too low, and whether you've captured the ILS or not, your aircraft is going to stall out before reaching the runway. There is a lot to consider (vref, vtgt, wind gusts, etc.) that I barely understand and would be poor at explaining. But, it is probably worth looking up, even for sim flying. That said, you may want to try keeping your speed up a bit more on approach and then cutting your throttles back as you approach and/or cross the runway threshold.

EDIT:

I see your autothrottle switch is in the off position, so I am going to guess at some point prior to this you were manually adjusting your throttle settings. Still, the speed setting is still very low (125knots), and the light is on, so I am also guessing that prior to manual throttle control, you had the auto-throttle set to that value. I took a stab at guessing which aircraft you were using (737), but even going with other jet passenger aircraft (Airbuses, ERJs/CRJs, etc.), I don't see any of these maintaining stable flight at a sustained 125knots. Probably repeating myself a lot here, but I kind of wanted to go back and explain my thinking a bit more, and also acknowledge that it does appear you disengaged the autothrottle for your landing.
Xyn_Air
Captain
Captain

Postby Daube » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:05 am

Isn't it needed to set both the NAV1 and the NAV2 to the ILS frequency for the ILS to work properly ?
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Xyn_Air » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:46 am

Daube wrote:Isn't it needed to set both the NAV1 and the NAV2 to the ILS frequency for the ILS to work properly ?

I don't think so. I just did a flight yesterday in FSX, KMSP to KSEA, IFR, with ILS approach in a 737 add-on aircraft. I only set NAV1 to the ILS frequency, and the AP APP setting guided me in just fine, including adjusting for the correct glide slope. You do have to make sure the AP is on Nav and not GPS, though. And, according to the screenshot, AP is in NAV, so that seems correct.

(Of course, this is in FSX. I could not speak to real world requirements about the necessary number of Nav settings for ILS.)

Like I mentioned above, I am more concerned by his speed setting of 125knots. That. Is. So. Slow. Unless he is actually over the runway, throttled all the way bacl, and flared for landing, I cannot see that being a sustainable approach speed.
Xyn_Air
Captain
Captain

Postby garymbuska » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:23 am

Xyn_Air wrote:
Daube wrote:Isn't it needed to set both the NAV1 and the NAV2 to the ILS frequency for the ILS to work properly ?

I don't think so. I just did a flight yesterday in FSX, KMSP to KSEA, IFR, with ILS approach in a 737 add-on aircraft. I only set NAV1 to the ILS frequency, and the AP APP setting guided me in just fine, including adjusting for the correct glide slope. You do have to make sure the AP is on Nav and not GPS, though. And, according to the screenshot, AP is in NAV, so that seems correct.

(Of course, this is in FSX. I could not speak to real world requirements about the necessary number of Nav settings for ILS.)

Like I mentioned above, I am more concerned by his speed setting of 125knots. That. Is. So. Slow. Unless he is actually over the runway, throttled all the way bacl, and flared for landing, I cannot see that being a sustainable approach speed.

That can depend on the aircraft I have a B747-400 that was once payware but is now freeware it is the Ready For Pushback B747-400 you have to have both Nav1 and Nav2 set as well as the correct course otherwise it will not work.
If you have aircraft that do not have there own panel but instead use a panel from another aircraft I have discovered that some of the gauges may not work correctly the best thing to do here is to copy the entire panel folder of the aircraft that the plane is using. This is easy to spot when you open the panel cfg file from a aircraft and only see two lines that read something like this ALIAS B737-300.
A aircraft that has its own panel will have a lot of lines in the panel cfg file. I do not use the ALAIS line on any aircraft that I have you can find this same line in the sound folder of aircraft as well same thing applies to that except you copy the sound folder instead 8-)
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Xyn_Air » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:30 am

garymbuska wrote:That can depend on the aircraft I have a B747-400 that was once payware but is now freeware it is the Ready For Pushback B747-400 you have to have both Nav1 and Nav2 set as well as the correct course otherwise it will not work.
If you have aircraft that do not have there own panel but instead use a panel from another aircraft I have discovered that some of the gauges may not work correctly the best thing to do here is to copy the entire panel folder of the aircraft that the plane is using. This is easy to spot when you open the panel cfg file from a aircraft and only see two lines that read something like this ALIAS B737-300.
A aircraft that has its own panel will have a lot of lines in the panel cfg file. I do not use the ALAIS line on any aircraft that I have you can find this same line in the sound folder of aircraft as well same thing applies to that except you copy the sound folder instead 8-)

I think I will start using both Nav selectors on ILS now. Because, after reading this, it is always going to be gnawing at the back of my mind, even though I haven't had any problems until now. Because, just my luck, the next aircraft I fly will probably require it! :lol:
Xyn_Air
Captain
Captain

Postby clarenceover » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:34 pm

It shouldn't be necessary to have both NAV1 and NAV2 set for the ILS. NAV1 with ILS frequency selected will be sufficient. Not forgetting to select the bearing of the ILS in the 'Course'.
In the real world, both would be set to the ILS if the landing would be in low-visibility with an 'Autoland', giving and extra margin of safety and some 'redundancy' of on-board systems.

If I can repeat from my previous response, the aircraft is way below the glide-path because the diamond is well above centre, in the same way, the localiser diamond along the bottom of the screen is left of centre, because the aircraft is right of the extended centre-line, again showing that flying towards the diamond is the correct reaction.

With regards to speeds, the speed to fly correctly very much depends on aircraft type and weight, nothing else!

Some aircraft are capable of slow speeds if at light weight, particularly the 757-200 where 124kts would be more than plenty!
clarenceover
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Xyn_Air » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:10 pm

clarenceover wrote:With regards to speeds, the speed to fly correctly very much depends on aircraft type and weight, nothing else!

Some aircraft are capable of slow speeds if at light weight, particularly the 757-200 where 124kts would be more than plenty!

A landing speed for a 757 can be, yes, a hair under the 125 shown in the screenshot.... the landing speed. That would still be too low for an approach speed. He wouldn't want to be going that slow until he was already over the threshold of the runway. And that is for a 757. A lot of other jets have a much higher approach and landing speed. Therefore, in this little mystery, it would probably be helpful to know which aircraft/add-on he was flying.

As for landing speed depending upon aircraft type and weight and nothing else, wind conditions and flap settings are also hugely important. As far as I can make out, flaps appear to be set at around 15, or halfway give or take. If he is coming in super slow, for many aircraft in that circumstance flaps would be at full.

I swear I am not trying to be bellicose or obstinate here, but the airspeed keeps leaping out at me as being too low. And, given the scant information we have from the post and the screen shot, it is my first guess as to a major factor of what could be going wrong.

I think we can all agree that the aircraft is below the glide path (at least, I hope being in the dirt short of the runway is below the glide path!! :lol: ). The question is, why is he below glide path?

- Did he capture the ILS signal? Well, it certainly shows up on his displays, both the glide slope and the heading. So, as far as that goes, he seems to have captured the ILS approach.
- Are his displays providing correct information? Given his position in the screen shot, yes. He is below the glide slope (in the dirt) and to the right of the runway, and both those positions are correctly displayed.

At a glance, the AP and ILS all appear to be 'normal'. So, what went wrong? Either the add-on is defective, or there was something wrong with his approach. And, to get any further, it seems almost necessary to know which add-on aircraft is being used, because...

He did say that he had no problem with the default FSX SE aircraft (are the default aircraft being used and the add-on of the same type, i.e., all 737's, all A320's, etc., or of different types?), so I would love to know which add-on this is and give it a try for myself.
Xyn_Air
Captain
Captain

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam