FSX, Windows 10, DX12, and the missing textures

FSX including FSX Steam version.

FSX, Windows 10, DX12, and the missing textures

Postby Xyn_Air » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:31 pm

I have tried installing several aircraft add-on packages this past week into FSX, and it has been mostly an unmitigated nightmare.

Every single one seems to have several missing textures (most show up as just black 'panels', some are invisible altogether). This is specifically noticeable in the aircraft preview window, looking at the aircraft externally in-game (from anywhere - tower, spot, etc.), and also within the VC.

The aircraft themselves seem to otherwise function correctly in FSX, and for the most part gauges appear even when other parts of the VC are missing.

I am running Windows 10 and DX12. After some Googling around, I get the feeling that FSX - especially as concerns add-on aircraft and textures - does not like to be run outside of DX9. That said, most posts in various forums regarding this issue are at least a year old, and reference issues with DX10 and DX 11. I do not know if the same issues persist with DX12.

So, I am left to wonder what the actual fuzzy gremlins is going on.

- Is the issue with how FSX, Win10, and DX12 don't want to play nice together?
- Is the issue with the add-ons, and I have just had the rotten luck to download all the defective ones?
- Is it a settings issue? Is it a compatibility mode issue?

The weirdest thing is that I can download add-on aircraft packages for FS9 all day long, and they all work in Win10 just fine. For that matter, FS9 itself seems to work better than FSX in Win10! I have a lot of love for FS9, but enjoy some of the changes in FS10 and would like to be able to use both at will. Also of concern, sometime early next year, as funds allow, I was thinking of adding FSX-SE to the collection. But, if I can't make use of add-on aircraft in FSX, I sort have to wonder if it would be worth it.

Help?
Xyn_Air
Captain
Captain

Re: FSX, Windows 10, DX12, and the missing textures

Postby Xyn_Air » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:15 pm

And, just like that, I discovered I might be an idiot.

Always, always, always first make sure both service packs are installed if one has ever done a reinstall. Which, apparently, I had failed to check.

Yep. Looks like things might be working now. After making sure to install both service packs, I reinstalled one of the problematic add-on aircraft, and - LO! - look at all the beautiful textures!

Sigh. I am a derp.

*facepalm*
Xyn_Air
Captain
Captain

Re: FSX, Windows 10, DX12, and the missing textures

Postby Shadowcaster » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:36 pm

Glad your all sorted, just the sort of thing I do all the time. :)

Cheers
Rich
All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam