FSX shuts down Part 3

FSX including FSX Steam version.

FSX shuts down Part 3

Postby Flying Trucker » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:18 pm

Good evening all... <<u

Stephane you have probably looked at the Settings in Part 2.

I raised the Frame Rates to 30 but left the settings alone.
Froze up after (15) Minutes.

Lowered the Frame Rates to 24 and left the settings alone.
Finished the simulated flight with no other problems.

Changed Simulated Aircraft which is Payware and not the Default Aircraft from FSX to see if there were any problems.

Still think there is something wrong.

Could the REX Textures be conflicting with ORBX :?: If so I will uninstall REX.

Think we need to go from This:

To This:

Swamping Along

There is the Land Strip, SPB (seaplane base) is the other side of the island.

They have several Bugsmashers on the Field

Another Swamper by the dock

The Old Girl is Floating on me... :lol:

Comments and Advice most welcome... ;)
Cheers...Happy Landings...Doug
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Re: FSX shuts down Part 3

Postby garymbuska » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:32 am

That is a definite possibility. As I stated in your first post that you were more than likely trying to display something that your system just could not do. I would say it is time to decide on what you want. I would remove one texture or the other.
I have never used REX and do not know much about it. But I would say it is a safe bet that when you use any program that creates textures along with the default or other textures you could run into a problem.
Now I have been using a product called Active SKY for some time now it generates weather but when I use it I make sure to click the user defined weather or select the Active Sky Weather from the Theme selection depending on which sim I am using. By doing this I only use the textures from Active Sky and no default textures are used, I do not know if you can do this with REX but if you can I would do that.
Any time you try to display textures from two different places you could run into a problem like you are having.
8-)
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Flying Trucker » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:47 pm

Thanks again Gary...much appreciated... <<q
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Daube » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:40 am

Ah I didn't read the topics in the correct order, sorry :oops:
So, there are good chances your video card is the source of the problem.
If the freeze affects the whole computer, then it's probably a hardware issue.

You said you cleaned up your fans recently. But did you try to clean up the video card cooling system as well ?

I guess the crash happens even sooner if you set the FPS to unlimited, right ? I'm thinking your CPU is ok, but the video card is overheating or something like that...
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Flying Trucker » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:47 pm

Hi Stephane...all Fans are cleaned.

Not sure about setting the Frame Rate to Unlimited although that is recommended somewhere, not sure if it was something I read in NVIDEA or ORBX.

I have it set to 30 right now.

The entire computer does not freeze up.

Only FSX will freeze and Alt>Ctrl>Delete does not help or either does hitting the ESC Key.

Thinking of Deleting REX as most of the time I use the Textures and not the current weather.

Think the Textures and Weather in ORBX is the way to go just because of the different scenery packages.

One other thing I can think of:

-Doing a simulated cross country in either a Payware Aircraft or Default Aircraft
-I will check the GPS on another Monitor for the Nearest VOR or NDB
-I will Pause the simulated flight and check the FSX MAP for something
-Will change the Altitude of the simulated flight while in the MAP
-I will change aircraft during the simulated flight after Pausing the program
-Will change the Fuel and Payload for the aircraft after Pausing the program
-Might change Weather>Time>Season of the simulated flight
-Will look at NAV LOG

Any one of these will usually (not always) cause the FSX simulated flight to freeze a minute or so after taking OFF PAUSE

Also I will Save a Single Cross Country Simulated Flight up to four times and then restart the simulated flight from last position.

Wondering if there is a LIMIT too how many changes one can make during a simulated cross country flight :?:
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Daube » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:28 am

Hi Doug,

Just a clarification: are you using FSX original or FSX Steam ?
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Flying Trucker » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:48 pm

Good afternoon Stephane... <<u

I am using Microsoft Windows 10
and
Microsoft FSX Deluxe with Acceleration
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pegger » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:05 pm

Trucker...
A lot of the causes your are describing sounds like the old UIautomation.dll problems.
Mouse clicking and menu activations cause the sim to freeze. I would not suspect your video card. When the video card stops responding, the screen will normally go black.
This is espcially considering you are using Delux+Accel.
FSX:SE does not suffer the UIAutomation problems.

Check out this link re: UIautomation and Windows 10.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/fsx-crashing-on-windows-10-problems-resolved/7d80c890-5488-49ec-a6bb-e28e21b18f8b?auth=1
pegger
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Daube » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:37 pm

Good point, Pegger. That's also what I was thinking about. :)
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby garymbuska » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:22 am

I would not set your frame rates to unlimited doing so will cause your system to do everything in is power to try to display frame rates that are just to high
In most cases a frame rate of 30 is more than enough. Beside the human eye can not detect much above 30 any way so why bother.
this frame rate is recommended for most games out there
<<t
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Flying Trucker » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:34 am

Thank you Gentlemen for the information.

Will check my NVIDIA Driver also to see if I have the December 15th update.

Will also see if Microsoft FSX SE is on sale anywhere.
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Daube » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:32 pm

garymbuska wrote:I would not set your frame rates to unlimited doing so will cause your system to do everything in is power to try to display frame rates that are just to high
In most cases a frame rate of 30 is more than enough.

Yes indeed, for computers that are powerful enough, the 30 FPS limit is a good target. Smooth enough, and saves some CPU power for other tasks.
For less powerful computers though, setting the FPS to "unlimited" can result in higher FPS when using complex, CPU-heavy sceneries or planes.
The only drawback of unlimited FPS is the ground blurries. But since Doug flies only slow planes, this shouldn't really be a problem.

Beside the human eye can not detect much above 30 any way so why bother.

Sorry but that's just an Internet hoax or general misunderstanding that got spread over the forums. Human eyes can perfectly perceive the difference between 30 and 60 FPS. It becomes more difficult to feel the differences above 90 FPS though.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Daube » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:35 pm

Flying Trucker wrote:
Will also see if Microsoft FSX SE is on sale anywhere.

FSX Steam is currently on sale at -60% !
http://store.steampowered.com/app/314160/
That's only 9.99 Euros here :)

However, I wouldn't recommend you to install it just yet. You can buy it now, as a useful and cheap "backup" solution in case your main FSX goes wrong, but let's first try to fix your current problem before uninstalling/reinstalling anything from the sim.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Shadowcaster » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:48 pm

Hi Doug I've hesitated replying to this thread because it's very difficult to advise on what is best to do. I can only say what works on my system, I hardly have a rocket ship of a machine, Intel i5 2600K overclocked to 4.330Mhz, GeForce GTX 460 1gig (not yet overclocked) 16gig ram on and ASUS Mother Board. Before I switched to Steam FSX I suffered many of the issues that you have described, as suggested the UIAutomation file did help but was not the full answer for me. I bit the bullet a while back and went over to Steam FSX and for the most part have had no real issues apart from my own screw-ups.

As always with FSX it's a compromise on setting. I have found what seems to work best on my system, I use some ORBX scenery with REX for clouds and water effects with the usual mix of freeware and payware machines and scenery. For general flying around the coastal regions I have some setting maxed out like water to give a nice effect and have clouds set to low or medium, when flying inland I lower the water setting and increase the cloud coverage. When flying over big cities my system slows down a lot so I tend to avoid them if possible, I tend to use light and vintage aircraft both freeware and paid I very rarely get into the big jets but do use some older stuff like the Comet DC-6 etc, if I do use the bigger stuff then I lower the detail on water and experiment with clouds. Frame-rate for is set to unlimited which seems better on my system, I have filtering set to Anisotropic and Anti-aliasing enabled, it looks better with those setting, autogen is set to dense and complexity set to extremely dense and I have no FSX traffic (rename the trafficAircraft.bgl file) road traffic set to 10% shipping set to 50%, I do have some traffic showing like the AI stuff for Duxford and other third party stuff. One thing I have noticed is the effect some add-ons have on performance for instance there is a freeware Bull Stearman which brings my system to it's knees for some reason :? the new C-47 can be a tad slow to update cockpit textures after viewing from outside but I can live with that, other seemingly more complicated payware runs really well. :?

Sorry to ramble on but as I said this is what works for me and my setup, as I have said before it baffles me how the bloody things work at all with the huge variety of hardware available. I have found the combination of Windows 10 64bit and FSX Steam works best for me, others have no problems with the original FSX.

HTH

Cheers
Rich
All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:19 pm

Well.... :o ....

I don't know.... :roll: ....

I have installed and run all the MS Flight Sims since FS '98, through to FSX, on various homebuilt Desktop Computers, running various versions of Windows operating systems, and looking back, I cant remember having any problems with any of them over the intervening years, with various add-ons, and with most of my settings maxed-out, and running smoothly at the time.

If I was having as many constant problems as Doug is having, time after time, over and over again, I would consider trying another "game" to play, to preserve my sanity!

...or take up Fly Fishing instead?... ;) ...!

Far too much stress otherwise....Is it worth it?!

Paul....Present Specs below..... :mrgreen: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam