FSX CFG Settings

FSX including FSX Steam version.

FSX CFG Settings

Postby Flying Trucker » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:26 am

Good morning all... <<q

Now before I start let me tell you I am not a Computer Knowledgeable Person...this Electronic Gizmo hates me... :lol:

The problem is I purchased on sale several Payware Aircraft:-
-Cessna 195 & Cessna 337....Texture Maximum 2048
-Carenado Piper Navajo..........Texture Maximum 4096

My FSX CFG Settings are at 1024 for Texture Maximum

Computer:
Windows 10 Professional (X64 Version 1607)
Microsoft FSX Deluxe/Acceleration

4.00 Gigahertz Intel Core
64 Bit Ready

3570.99 Gigabytes usable Hard Drive
3120.43 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free

Display:
Intel (R) HD Graphics 4600 (Display Adapter)
Nividea Ge force GTX 580 (Display Adapter)

High Definition Audio Device

Problem:

What setting should I set my Microsoft FSX Deluxe/Acceleration at and keep there :?:

I tried Texture Maximum 4096 and many of the Payware Aircraft would not show...only broken parts...

If I set my Texture Maximum to 2048 I am sure the Piper Navajo will not work properly but not sure about the other Payware Aircraft and Default Aircraft.

I want a Texture Maximum that can be set and left there for everything to work.
I tried the different Texture Maximum Settings and really messed this computer up, I did a Computer Restore to a Date I knew everything was working fine.

I did not want to spend any more on this system at the moment but Upgrading the Nividea Ge Force GTX 580 is a thought.

Would this solve my problem :?:
If so, what Card should I upgrade too :?:

Your Ideas and Assistance would be most appreciated... ;)
Cheers...Happy Landings...Doug
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Re: FSX CFG Settings

Postby garymbuska » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:43 am

Flying Trucker wrote:Good morning all... <<q

Now before I start let me tell you I am not a Computer Knowledgeable Person...this Electronic Gizmo hates me... :lol:

The problem is I purchased on sale several Payware Aircraft:-
-Cessna 195 & Cessna 337....Texture Maximum 2048
-Carenado Piper Navajo..........Texture Maximum 4096

My FSX CFG Settings are at 1024 for Texture Maximum

Computer:
Windows 10 Professional (X64 Version 1607)
Microsoft FSX Deluxe/Acceleration

4.00 Gigahertz Intel Core
64 Bit Ready

3570.99 Gigabytes usable Hard Drive
3120.43 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free

Display:
Intel (R) HD Graphics 4600 (Display Adapter)
Nividea Ge force GTX 580 (Display Adapter)

High Definition Audio Device

Problem:

What setting should I set my Microsoft FSX Deluxe/Acceleration at and keep there :?:

I tried Texture Maximum 4096 and many of the Payware Aircraft would not show...only broken parts...

If I set my Texture Maximum to 2048 I am sure the Piper Navajo will not work properly but not sure about the other Payware Aircraft and Default Aircraft.

I want a Texture Maximum that can be set and left there for everything to work.
I tried the different Texture Maximum Settings and really messed this computer up, I did a Computer Restore to a Date I knew everything was working fine.

I did not want to spend any more on this system at the moment but Upgrading the Nividea Ge Force GTX 580 is a thought.

Would this solve my problem :?:
If so, what Card should I upgrade too :?:

Your Ideas and Assistance would be most appreciated... ;)

Your video card is on the old side for sure but not a dinosaur by no means. In trying to make this easy for you to understand there are a couple of things you will need to know before you buy a new card.
I am not sure of the order in which they need to be in but I would start by finding out what type of interface your current card is plugged into and if it occupies more than one slot?
There are several types of expansion slots on mother boards and depending on how old your system is will determine what kind of card will work best in your system.
I know this may be hard for you to understand. I looked up the specs for your card it plugs into what is called a PCI 2.0 x16 it only needs one slot
This is an older type of port so you have to make sure the card you buy is not higher than PCI 2.0
Some video cards need two slots because of there size they only plug into one of the slots but will block the other one so if you have say a sound card beside your video card and you buy a card that needs two slots you will have to remove your sound card to install it. The one I use needs two slots. Your system would not support the card I use
it will not do you any good for me to tell you what I use because it might not work for you because of the differences in systems. I completely rebuilt my system about two years ago
I bought a new mother board a new video card which I have updated since than new RAM a new CPU Power supply it cost me under $900.00 but I bought things over a month or so time frame catching sales when I could.
If you go to this link it will tell you everything about the card you have if you click on the performance tab it will show you the maximum ratio it can display which is 2560x1600
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop ... erformance

I wish you luck and hoped I helped <<v
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Flying Trucker » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:27 am

Thanks Gary...that information is very informative.

Now I have an idea in the direction I should take... ;)
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Daube » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:46 am

But before blaming the hardware, let's ensure the necessary tweaks are really in the FSX.CFG ;)

In fact, usually when aircrafts appear messed up in the display windows, it's because the video memory gets kind of saturated. This happens because you raised the maximum texture size, yes.
But there's a tweak which attempts to rectify this problem. It's the HIGHMEMFIX.
It's supposed to be added into the [GRAPHICS] section of your FSX.cfg, and the line should look like this:
HIGHMEMFIX=1

So, you should proceed as follows:
1- close the sim, if not already done
2- edit your FSX.cfg
3- add the HIGHMEMFIX line to the [GRAPHICS] section in your FSX.cfg
4- ensure your TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD line is still at 4096... this little line will get reset to 1024 each time you'll go into the settings screens in the sim... (yes, this is annoying)
4- save and close the file
5- go to the folder c:\users\your name\appdata\local\microsoft\FSX and delete the content of the "shaders" folder. Be VERY CAREFUL to go into the LOCAL folder, not the ROAMING one.
6- restart the sim. The picture might take a while to reappear on your first flight, this is because FSX is reconstructing the shaders that you deleted in step 5 ;) So don't worry if you get a black screen, just wait several seconds.
7- let us know what happens.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Flying Trucker » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:48 am

Good Morning Stephane... <<q

That information is Awesome.

Here is my plan...
On Wednesday this coming week I have someone coming in to look at this Electronic Gizmo.
Will show him this and he is also going to look at my Video Card.

Looking forward to this and will keep you all informed.

Again thanks to all... ;)
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Flying Trucker » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:52 am

Good morning all... <<v

We had our first snow fall yesterday...turned to rain and minus 1 Celsius right now.

Well Wednesday started off OK with this electronic gizmo, the gaming tech spent the first few hours checking things out, a lot of HMMMS.

After several hours the results were exactly the same as when he started.
He followed the directions of the above posts and we still got the same results.
Ghostly parts of aircraft showing, only shadows of some aircraft, instruments not showing, no instrument panel, some keyboard keys would not work, etc.
The above symptoms was with all Default and Payware Aircraft.
Scenery did not display at all or only partly displayed incorrectly (trees in water...etc.)

What we managed to do was to use the number of times we could download the:
-Alabeo Cessna 195 Businessliner (Maximum Texture Settings 2048)
-Carenado Piper Navajo (Maximum Texture Settings 4096)

We could not get the Weather Radar to work in the Piper Navajo and even the GPS quit.

Thanks to Alabeo and Carenado Support this morning my Number of Download Settings has been reset.

I have not downloaded these two Payware Simulated Aircraft and not going too, I think my Microsoft FSX Deluxe/Acceleration Maximum Texture Settings will remain at 1024 where everything else seems to work.

You can be sure if I purchase any more Payware Simulated Aircraft I will check to see if they say "HD" or Not.

So folks I am right back to square one again, however, this electronic gizmo does work fine now and my Scenery does not look too awful bad but I am minus two simulated payware aircraft I would like to have been able to use.

Much appreciated for all the help... ;)
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Daube » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:10 am

Doug, did you try to delete the shaders after you modified the FSX.cfg ?
I'm referring to the files located in the folder c:\users\your name\local\microsoft\fsx\shaders ?
("local", not "roaming" in the path)
These shaders will be regerated by FSX on the next launch.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Flying Trucker » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:40 am

Good morning Stephane... :D

The person that was here said he tried everything in your post and then had to reset.

He is supposed to be a Gaming Person who works for a computer company.

Not sure what he did do but will give it until after the weekend and I will try this myself... :think:

Will keep you informed and again thanks for your help Stephane...always appreciated... ;)
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby jandjfrench » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:39 pm

Hi Flying,
When I saw "I tried the different Texture Maximum Settings and really messed this computer up, I did a Computer Restore to a Date I knew everything was working fine." I thought I could offer some information that might be helpful. System Restore treats .cfg files as text files and, as such, does not keep track of any changes to them and therefore are not restored to any previous version.
Jim F.
jandjfrench
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Flying Trucker » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:33 pm

Thanks Jim... <<q
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby napamule » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:14 pm

In the past I have lost cfg files after a restore. Gone! That hurts! So now if I want a cfg to NOT be deleted by Restore I rename file. IE: aircraft.cfg.txt. Even FSX.cfg.txt just to be safe. The 'aircraft_copy of.cfg' is not safe, either. Adding '*.txt' to file allows you to still open it with Notepad so that's 'slick' trick. Tricks of the trade (called 'Stupid MS Insurance'). Live and learn.
Chuck B
Napamule
napamule
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Flying Trucker » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:33 pm

Thanks Chuck...much appreciated...every little bit of information helps... ;)
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby garymbuska » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:15 am

Have you tried talking to the place where you bought the aircraft from? My self I have several payware aircraft that I bought a few years ago and discovered that when I changed over to Windows 10 one aircraft would not install at all. I contacted the place I bought it from and they told me it was not compatible with Windows 10 and offered me a different but similar aircraft
that would work.
Before buying any add on for FSX you have to read the system requirements especially true on anything that is visual as some things require DX11 and I am 99.9% sure your card will not support that.
I would contact the place where you purchased them from and perhaps they can help you or offer a refund or store credit. <<r
<<v
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Flying Trucker » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:12 am

Thanks Gary...that is my next step... <<q
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam