MS FSX v Steam FSX....

FSX including FSX Steam version.

MS FSX v Steam FSX....

Postby Fozzer » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:29 am

Hello chums... :D ....!

I've presently got the MS Boxed Version of FSX, with its shortcut.exe on my Desktop....
...also the Steam Version of FSX, with its shortcut.exe on my Desktop.

Now everyone and his dog tells me that the Steam Version runs much smoother and faster than my MS FSX Version.

Now the folder for my MS FSX Version contains zillions of files relating to all the aircraft, scenery, all my add-ons, etc, payware and freeware that I have popped in there over the years!

So...

How can I get the super/hyper-fast Steam Version program to pick up, automatically, all the files and programs contained in my MS FSX Folder, without me having to re-install, re-run, re-energise, etc, everything again in a separate/special Steam FSX Folder!

So, when I click on the FSX Steam shortcut, it automatically loads up all my previous MS FSX stuff!

I like it when things are simple.... ;) ...!

Paul....mostly simple.... :mrgreen: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Re: MS FSX v Steam FSX....

Postby pegger » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:54 am

You can direct the steam version to your scenery libraries in your boxed version. This will require reloading the each library through the scenery dialogue in steam though. Textures and bgl's can be copied over if needed.

Unfortunately, there is no simple way to add all the other bits (aircraft/tools/etc...).

You will have to re-install those items into the steam versions directory structure.

What i have done, is kept fsx boxed as it is, and started rebuilding my steam version piece by piece as i need it. I only use a small handful of aircraft, so those are installed. A copy of Fsuipc is installed. The scenery i most usually use is installed. And thats it. My steam version is remarkably more tidy than my boxed version, but over time I just build up my steam version as required. Trying to mirror the two versions would take forever, and would be pointless because alot of the stuff in my boxed version I don't use any more anyways.
pegger
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:37 am

pegger wrote:You can direct the steam version to your scenery libraries in your boxed version. This will require reloading the each library through the scenery dialogue in steam though. Textures and bgl's can be copied over if needed.

Unfortunately, there is no simple way to add all the other bits (aircraft/tools/etc...).

You will have to re-install those items into the steam versions directory structure.

What i have done, is kept fsx boxed as it is, and started rebuilding my steam version piece by piece as i need it. I only use a small handful of aircraft, so those are installed. A copy of Fsuipc is installed. The scenery i most usually use is installed. And thats it. My steam version is remarkably more tidy than my boxed version, but over time I just build up my steam version as required. Trying to mirror the two versions would take forever, and would be pointless because alot of the stuff in my boxed version I don't use any more anyways.

Ta for the reply, Peg... :D ...!

That explains it!

It looks to be more complicated than it is really worth for my use!

My i7 processor set-up copes adequately with my Boxed version, with its zillions of add-ons, so I'll just stick with my Boxed version....which runs nicely, smoothly, any way.... :handgestures-thumbup: ...!

The only noticeable lag is initial firing up the Sim, when it is gradually sorting out all my extra bits and bobs.... :whistle: ....!

....I just have to be patient...and wait for things to happen...slowly.... :sleeping-yellow: ...!

Thanks again, Peg...!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby papituwall » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:02 am

The best is follow the method that Pegger explains, but because both are the same program you can copy from FSX-Boxed to FSX-SE the files, carefuly you can make a "savage-dirty" copy:

For AIRCRAFT, copy from FSX-Boxed to FSX-SE the folders:

Effects
Gauges
Simobjects
Sound
Texture (this requires either full copy or check textures belonging to aircraft and copy them.
Modules
All files not in folders (dll's, unistallers etc.) that are not in FSX-SE main folder.
Also for payware aircraft the developer folders like Carenado, Aerosoft etc.

For Scenery it depends how you have installed it. I have all scenery installed OUT of the sim so I activate it in FSX or P3D.

But If you have all your scenes installed in Addon scenery a "savage" copy of scenes is possible and go to Programdata/FSX/ Scenery.cfg and copy all added scenery items to Programdata/FS-SE/Scenery.cfg
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby Fozzer » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:00 pm

Ta Lads....Read the suggestions.... :o ....

When I was much younger I used to do all sorts of really clever things.... :D ....

Nowadays, anything complicated gives me a headache.... :? ...!

Life is far too short, and I prefer to go to sleep instead, so I think I will stick to my MS boxed copy of FSX.... ;) ....!

Paul.... :sleeping-yellow: ....!

.... :lol: ....!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Roypcox » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:38 am

Fozz you are on you way to a lot of great enjoyment. Nothing ventured nothing gained . We have lots of new aircraft that are as good or better than some payware. Much better and shinny than fs9 . As time goes buy it will become easier and even faster than what you have previously experienced. You have a wonderful system that will do more than you ever thought possible. Learning new stuff makes me feel proud that I'm not to old to learn new stuff.
Roypcox
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:22 am

In practice, it's very easy to share aircraft.

Sharing scenery is also simple, but you'll have to manually direct one or the other flight sim to the scenery file. EXACTLY as you would manually install scenery. No different.

This is done using a feature (junction links) that has been built into every Windows version since Windows Vista. It works transparently.

You, and the programs that you use, don't even know that you're using this feature. Even installation programs use it transparently, and unknowingly.

Back when I used to alternate between FSX & Prepar3d, I shared the aircraft, gauges, and scenery folders, even the Orbx folders.

It's a great way to reduce the space used on your hard drive, but no one was interested.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby jphespe » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:58 am

OAM, I wasn't aware of that feature in windows. PLEASE, how to I find it? I have both FSX boxed and SE on my computer and really love considerably faster SE and the safety of not having to worry about lost, damaged disks or missing product codes. Thanks for letting me know this exists,

Regards,
Jim
jphespe
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:18 am

The easiest way to set up junction links is through a free program called Junction Link Magic.

First, setup a folder with a name that will remind you what it's for.

For instance I created a folder on another drive called "Orbx Folders From Prepar3d - Magic". It's important that you recognize that folder at a later date and don't delete it.

Then MOVE all of the files from the original location to the new folder.

The original folder MUST now be empty.

Using Junction Link Magic you'll select the original (now empty folder), and then the new folder (with all the files).

When both are found & selected, you'll click on the [Create] button.

Apple & windows try to hide the most important files from you to protect you from yourself.

People make mistakes, even dumb mistakes. I've done it before and I'll certainly do it again. :lol:

Just to be on the safe side, copy your original folder to a safe place. That way if you mess up you only have to copy it back.

Try Junction Link Magic with an unimportant program. Once you've done it a couple of times you'll be amazed at how easy it is to do.

If you create a junction link for the scenery in FSX:SE, then that's the folder that you'll point to in FSX (boxed edition) to do a manual scenery install, Just like you normally would with a manual install.

BOTH programs will (unknowingly) be using the same folder, but as you can only use one program or the other at the same time there will be no file conflict.

With aircraft it's VERY, VERY simple. Create a folder, perhaps called "SimObjects - Magic". Create a link between the FSX:SE "SimObjects" folder and "SimObjects - Magic" folder.

Now create a link between the FSX (boxed edition) folder "SimObjects" folder and "SimObjects - Magic" folder.

Anytime that you use an install program, in either program, it'll only see the proper "SimObjects" folder, but the files will be installed to "SimObjects - Magic" folder.

I know, it sounds complicated, but when you have it set up it'll work seamlessly.

Download a program that you don't intend to use. Try it with that program.

As I said, in the past, I've shared the same aircraft and scenery folders between FSX and Prepar3d, with no problems at all.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:55 am

One more thing - After you set this up, you never have to do anything again, it's all automatic and invisible to you and the software.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby jphespe » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:21 pm

Thank you!! Looks complicated at first but like most things once you do it it is really simple. Can't wait to try it.

regards,
Jim
jphespe
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam