fsx aircraft thumbnails mixed up...need help

FSX including FSX Steam version.

fsx aircraft thumbnails mixed up...need help

Postby Evan Popchock » Thu May 19, 2016 6:50 pm

Hey, guys,
Recently, I got a new desktop computer for my Flight Simulator x because my previous device crashed on me in late April. I just spent several days restoring my flight simulator to the way it was before my other machine failed, and the only obstacle I am trying to get past is that the last 50-100 thumbnails for my aircraft add-ons are all mixed up (i.e. when I select any of these aircraft thumbnails, it will display the correct aircraft, but the thumbnail title is incorrect). I have tried using this tool called AutoThumbnail to try to correct the problem (Note: I found this information in a forum on another website), but I would rather not do anything until I can get some advice from you guys about what I should do. I just spent all day yesterday restoring my scenery add-ons, and all day today restoring my default aircraft textures, and I would rather not uninstall and reinstall flight simulator all over again.

Any help would be appreciated.

Evan <<r
Evan Popchock
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: fsx aircraft thumbnails mixed up...need help

Postby B0ikat » Thu May 19, 2016 7:09 pm

This happens when an add-on texture folder(s) lack the proper thumbnail.jpg. Look for the first aircraft that shows the wrong image and check the texture folder for that aircraft. Most likely that is where the problem is. Some times FSX will "shift" the preview image if the "thumbnail.jpg" is missing, other times it adds a generic aircraft image instead.
B0ikat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Evan Popchock » Thu May 19, 2016 7:26 pm

I like your suggestion, but just to give you a better understanding of what I am talking about, I'll post a screenshot when I have a chance to do so.
Evan Popchock
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Evan Popchock » Thu May 19, 2016 8:00 pm

B0ikat wrote:This happens when an add-on texture folder(s) lack the proper thumbnail.jpg. Look for the first aircraft that shows the wrong image and check the texture folder for that aircraft. Most likely that is where the problem is. Some times FSX will "shift" the preview image if the "thumbnail.jpg" is missing, other times it adds a generic aircraft image instead.

Here are 2 screenshots of the problem I am having and how should I correct it:
Attachments
Capture (2).PNG
Capture (2).PNG (43.63 KiB) Viewed 3535 times
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (252.97 KiB) Viewed 3535 times
Last edited by Evan Popchock on Thu May 19, 2016 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evan Popchock
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Jetranger » Thu May 19, 2016 8:12 pm

Each and every single Aircraft Texture folder in FSX, has to have its own individual Aircraft photo "Thumbnail" JPG in its own Texture folder !!!!!

They can not be outside the individual aircraft texture folder.

also - its very important with FSX that the aircraft photo is properly titled : example

Thumbnail.jpg {-------- has to be a jpg format format

and the photo itself has to be titled : Thumbnail {--------------- important !!!!!

Why you have a Lockheed -1011 showing up under a Lockheed C-5 Galaxy baffles me ?????? :doh: :shock:

it appears that you don't actually have the Aircraft properly installed into FSX in the correct & proper manner and FSX is reading the entries ass backwards :shock:

also you need to closely examine very carefully each and every "Aircraft Texture" file in each aircraft - FOLDER ,,,,,,, check the "Fallback" entries in the Aircraft Texture "Folder" !! also very important !!!!!!!!

if the Wrong Aircraft Texture - Fallback file is wrong in any Aircraft folder it could display the problems your having too !!!

Dunno',, best I can do for suggestions ,,,,,, :doh: :?

Jetranger - with just over 4,997 Aircraft installed in my FSX Gold / Acceleration !!!! :o :clap:
Last edited by Jetranger on Thu May 19, 2016 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby B0ikat » Thu May 19, 2016 8:18 pm

Like I said, you need to look in the texture folders where the "shifting" starts. If the SA-227's are where the "shifting" starts, look in the texture folders of that add-on for the thumbnail.jpg
B0ikat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Evan Popchock » Thu May 19, 2016 8:18 pm

Jetranger wrote:Each and every single Aircraft Texture folder in FSX, has to have its own individual Aircraft photo "Thumbnail" JPG in its own Texture folder !!!!!

They can not be outside the individual aircraft texture folder.

also - its very important with FSX that the aircraft photo is properly titled : example

Thumbnail.jpg {-------- has to be a jpg format format

and the photo itself has to be titled : Thumbnail {--------------- important !!!!!

just so you know, I have looked inside all the aircraft folders that display the wrong thumbnail images and the thumbnails are in the correct folder. yet the thumbnails are still mixed up.
Evan Popchock
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Jetranger » Thu May 19, 2016 8:24 pm

well, evan,,, then I'm lost,,,,, and have no idea

I'd check those Fallback textures really close see if that's the problem ??????????
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Evan Popchock » Thu May 19, 2016 8:26 pm

Jetranger wrote:well, evan,,, then I'm lost,,,,, and have no idea

I'd check those Fallback textures really close see if that's the problem ??????????

can you clarify what you mean by fallback? Also, what exactly should I look for?
Evan Popchock
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Jetranger » Thu May 19, 2016 10:09 pm

in your AIRCRAFT texture folders you will have a separate CFG File titled - Texture -

in it it will read like this:

[fltsim]

fallback.1=..\texture
fallback.2=..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\texture
fallback.3=..\..\..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\texture

some aircraft have & need it others don't , most Default FSX aircraft do !!

however some downloaded aircraft may not need them, depends on the aircraft !!

but look for that Texture CFG. File in each aircraft see if they match up accordingly ???
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Azframer » Thu May 19, 2016 11:44 pm

I actually had that happen to me as well, so long ago I don't remember what the real problem was. I do remember taking out the last planes I had added when I finally noticed it. I then started adding them back one by one until I noticed the problem again. The fix for those problem planes I can't fricken remember right now.
I'll do some thinking on it and see if I remember again. Probably will remember right when I am trying to go to sleep and it'll hit me and I won't ge able to sleep. THANKS A LOT ahead of time JK

Rick
Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Fri May 20, 2016 2:29 am

B0ikat is correct. This is a common problem caused by missing thumbnails in one or more 3rd party aircraft, usually FS9 aircraft ported to FSX. I've never suffered from it myself as my FSX displays a generic thumbnail when one is missing like the CamSim 797 in this shot.

This enables me to quickly identify the culprit & fix it. I can only assume that this generic thumbnail file is missing from some versions of FSX. There are three files named airplane.jpg, helicopter.jpg & thumbnail.jpg which live in the FSX\Uires folder. I've attached mine below. If yours are missing download them & paste them in.

Please tell me if this helps.
Attachments
thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail.jpg (1.85 KiB) Viewed 3485 times
helicopter.jpg
helicopter.jpg (2.23 KiB) Viewed 3485 times
airplane.jpg
airplane.jpg (1.79 KiB) Viewed 3486 times

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Evan Popchock » Fri May 20, 2016 6:12 pm

Hagar wrote:B0ikat is correct. This is a common problem caused by missing thumbnails in one or more 3rd party aircraft, usually FS9 aircraft ported to FSX. I've never suffered from it myself as my FSX displays a generic thumbnail when one is missing like the CamSim 797 in this shot.

This enables me to quickly identify the culprit & fix it. I can only assume that this generic thumbnail file is missing from some versions of FSX. There are three files named airplane.jpg, helicopter.jpg & thumbnail.jpg which live in the FSX\Uires folder. I've attached mine below. If yours are missing download them & paste them in.

Please tell me if this helps.

I already have those thumbnail downloads installed and it hasn't fixed the issue. what should I try next? I have a thousand aircraft on my flight simulator, and it's pretty difficult, if not impossible, for me to find out which one is problematic.
Evan Popchock
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby B0ikat » Fri May 20, 2016 6:36 pm

Start at the beginning of the aircraft selection menu, and scroll down until you find an aircraft title that does not match the preview thumbnail and add a thumbnail.jpg. That is the only way to solve the problem.
B0ikat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Azframer » Fri May 20, 2016 6:48 pm

Still can't remember the fix, but I do remember going through my list and finding the first mistake through my batch of planes being the first plane with the problem. Go through and find which in your thumbnails do not match up and pull that particular aircraft and put it in a folder named HOLD until they match up. Then you know you have them all found once aircraft match up. It is not as big a problem as it seems, could be one aircraft that is the problem making it seem more mismatched if I remember correctly.
So start at beginning of the list and go through until you find the first mismatched plane. Removed to the HOLD folder. Open FSX and search again starting where you last saw a mismatched plane.

Rick
Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Next

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam