at a loss

FSX including FSX Steam version.

at a loss

Postby Salcidomd » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:51 am

So recently my sim has been lagging... I take into consideration that I have allot of aircraft and such but its to the point now where I get a initial FSX screen and nothing else I even left the Darn thing run all night to see if it is just taking forever..... so I Backed up everything defragged my hard drive and tried to reinstall. it would not start still is there more files I need to delete? .dll or otherwise that I did not know about? I need to get flying!!! I'm having withdrawals :evil: is there any suggestions ?

I did kinda scan through topics and couldn't find this same problem so I started a new thread if there is an older one let me know ill go look

I have a
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual core processor4200+ 2.21GHz
4GB ram
Nvidia GeForce GTX 550Ti video card and
650W power supply
Salcidomd
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: at a loss

Postby Modlerbob » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:06 am

If you don't already have one I would recommend getting a windows registry checker like "Clean My PC". They do more to speed up my computer than defragging my hard drive. Also make sure no other programs are running in the background while FSX is running.
Modlerbob
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Bass » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:43 am

Salci, if you want to reinstall FSX, you need to delete ANY FSX folders, hidden or not hidden!!
And as Bob says, clean the registry too.

Every time i stumble over any stubborn program uninstall, i use the free Revo Uninstaller. It takes a little time, but there's not much left over.

Good luck.

Note. Save your unused aircraft/scenery in another folder! In that way your FSX loading will speed up. (Ref. your system) ;)
"Just try to be YOU"!............ Kurt 

System. GA-X58A-UD3R, i7-950QC, Corsair XMS3 18GB 2000, GTX 780 tf 3GB, Corsair CMPSU-850, 24 BenQ 120, TM Hotas cougar, win7 pro.
Bass
Major
Major

Postby Salcidomd » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:34 am

thanks guys and I did read the sticky thread on a fresh install of FSX and right now I cannot afford to reinstall Win 7 but ill try again thanks again lets see what happens
Salcidomd
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:53 am

Salcidomd wrote:thanks guys and I did read the sticky thread on a fresh install of FSX and right now I cannot afford to reinstall Win 7 but ill try again thanks again lets see what happens

You shouldn't need to reinstall Win7.

My first suggestion if you're having trouble running FSX is to delete fsx.cfg (or back it up if you prefer). A new CFG will be created the next time you run FSX. This will restore all settings to default & has been known to solve all sorts of problems.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:20 pm

Just a question - Is it ONLY the flight sim that is slow?

If it's the whole computer and internet, you may have a few viruses.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby garymbuska » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:13 pm

Modlerbob wrote:If you don't already have one I would recommend getting a windows registry checker like "Clean My PC". They do more to speed up my computer than defragging my hard drive. Also make sure no other programs are running in the background while FSX is running.

I stay away from programs like these as most of them do more harm than good. I have Norton suite installed and it has a registry cleaner tool in it.
A lot of these type of programs are spyware.
You could take a brand new right out of the box computer and programs like this will tell you there is a problem with it. Now there are a few programs out there that are descent But I wold not trust clean my pc in a million years.

<<u
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:12 pm

Dito, Gary.

I had a hell of a time getting rid on one that was worse than many viruses.

On top of that, when I bought it I read the "thank you for buying..." email, and found out that they had AUTOMATILY signed me up for a "update" charge EVERY 6 MONTHS! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Basically they were going to charge my PayPal account $100 per year. Year. After. Year! :o

It was only mentioned in the middle of a lot of useless info. How I caught it I don't know.

There is one VERY good registry checker that I can easily recommend - CCleaner.

Get the free version, and not the demo version. AND ONLY GET IT DIRECTLY FROM THEM!

If you get it from CNET or elsewhere they'll usually add unwanted programs to the download.

I've been using the free version for over 10 years without a single problem.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:50 pm

Further info for above.

The product was RegCure Pro

Payment was made to www.safecart.com

The "automatic subscription" was for $25 twice a year for a total of $50 per year, through a company called giampaolo bettin

I wasn't able to get in touch with either "giampaolo bettin" or "safecart". It was ONLY stopped after contacting PayPal and eventually deleting my credit card number from the PayPal account.

The above info is from my PayPal transaction details.

Stick with CCleaner.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby PhantomTweak » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:33 pm

Stick with CCleaner.

That's the one I useabout once a week or so. Seems to work well, either with or instead of Norton's. I know a lot of folks don't care for it, but I've been a HUGE fan of Peter Norton ever since all there was was DOS 3.0. I've used his file recovery software, HEXEdit, you name it. I love them. His cleaners and checkers can't be beat, to my mind, much like his antivirus system. Heck, he's the one that actually invented SpeedDisk! Windows tried to steal it from him, but he had included a few lines of code that made it unfunctional in Windows. They finally paid him what he was asking, which was a tidy sun indeed...
And besides ALL that, you should see his HOUSE! The entire thing is about 200 years old, and the woodwork, including the paneling is incredible. All beeswax rubbed once a week, by hand...you do that for 200 years it turns out amazing... :drool: :shock: :D

Pat☺
Have fun, fly high, far, and free!
Pat
2S7, Chiloquin OR Image
PhantomTweak
Captain
Captain

Postby Salcidomd » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:13 pm

I figured out why my sim quit working ... it was the logbook... idk why it keeps it from loading but I deleted JUST that and it works again ? any idea why????
Salcidomd
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Salcidomd » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:16 pm

garymbuska wrote:
Modlerbob wrote:If you don't already have one I would recommend getting a windows registry checker like "Clean My PC". They do more to speed up my computer than defragging my hard drive. Also make sure no other programs are running in the background while FSX is running.

I stay away from programs like these as most of them do more harm than good. I have Norton suite installed and it has a registry cleaner tool in it.
A lot of these type of programs are spyware.
You could take a brand new right out of the box computer and programs like this will tell you there is a problem with it. Now there are a few programs out there that are descent But I wold not trust clean my pc in a million years.

<<u

I also agree I get allot of advice from Microsoft themselves and even they say registry cleaning can do more harm than good so I stay away from them and with my experiences with Norton ADaware Kerperski I just stay away and I never trust a FREE antivirus EXEPT for Microsoft's free antivirus
Salcidomd
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:17 pm

I can recall having Norton anti-virus many, many years ago, and having various problems with it.

It flatly refused to be uninstalled, (a problem well known at the time...lots of little places it hides away), and the only way to get rid of it completely was to Format my Hard Drive!

Never again!
I steer well clear of Norton now!

Paul.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:31 am

Salcidomd wrote:I figured out why my sim quit working ... it was the logbook... idk why it keeps it from loading but I deleted JUST that and it works again ? any idea why????

Glad you figured it out. A corrupted logbook is a known problem. http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/?title=Problem_Resolving_%28FSX%29#Scenario_2.29

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pete » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:11 am

You may also want to look at a RAM upgrade to 8GB.

Depending on your PC - RAM is usually a cheap and easy upgrade and is a great improvement all round to performance.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam