Errattic rudder behavior

Forum dedicated to Microsoft FS2004 - "A Century of Flight".

Errattic rudder behavior

Postby garymbuska » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:39 am

Here a strange one for you I have both the boxed edition of FSX Gold and The original FS9 running on windows 10. I am using CH rudder peddles and recently I have been having issues with the rudder in FS9. What happens is I always start cold and dark and than go through the start up procedure for the aircraft I am flying. While in spot view I always check my controls before I push back to make sure every thing is working like it should. Every thing looks great so I then push back call the tower for permission to taxi once I stop I start to throttle up and that is when my rudder will kick hard right. I for got to mention I use a Cessna Flight yoke with throttles once the rudder kicks to the right nothing I do will make it come back to normal I have to throttle down in order for the rudder to work correctly Now here is the strange thing this does not happen in FSX at all. So far I have discovered that if I turn down the throttle sensitivities the problem goes away
and every thing works correctly. I have not made any changes to FS9 or added any thing I also looked at the FSX config file and noticed there is a line that reads Rudder=64
This same line is also in the FSX cfg file so that tells me that is not the problem.
I have uninstalled the software for the Cessna flight yoke and reinstalled it with no luck . The biggest problem is I have to change the sensitivities every time I start up Fs9 Is there a way to set this up permanently?
Now I have no idea as to why the problem only occurs in FS9 and it does not make any difference as to which aircraft I use.
It is obvious that something has changed somewhere but the question is where.
any help would be appreciated
<<q
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Re: Errattic rudder behavior

Postby Sinkrate » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:08 am

Please don't flame me for stating the obvious, but have you checked the control assignments? I’ve had exactly the problem you describe many times and it has always been a control assignment duplication.
Sinkrate
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby garymbuska » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:47 am

Sinkrate wrote:Please don't flame me for stating the obvious, but have you checked the control assignments? I’ve had exactly the problem you describe many times and it has always been a control assignment duplication.

I completely understand your logic but hate to say that is not the case here. Beside I use rudders peddles there are no assignments with them. FS9 recognizes them and they work much the same way as a stick that has a twisting action for the rudder. With the Saitek Flight Yoke with throttles it comes with a software that is called a profile editor and what you do is when you push a button or move a lever it highlights what axis that is than you assign the same keystroke that you would use to operate it. An example by default the letter G is used to raise and lower the landing gear so all you do is to put the letter G in that box and whenever you push that button or slide that switch in that direction the gear will go up or down.
It is really slick when it works correctly. I even use the push buttons on the yoke to reply to ATC by assigning the number 1 to the left button and the number two to the right button I have not come up wit anything as of yet for the number 3 it allows you to fly with out ever touching the keyboard.
Since I posted this I have downloaded the driver and the software it uses and than I got another surprise I had kept my profile and when I went to use it the profile was not working like it should
I now have to remake my profile and see what happens than. I will keep everyone posted.
The thing that has me baffled is the fact that the throttles is what is causing this event. I thought there was a problem with my rudder peddles.

<<s
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Sinkrate » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:14 am

I see from your signature that you are running Win 10 (please accept my sincere condolences) which has a known problem regarding Saitek drivers. I had to remove all Saitek drivers from my PC driver store using RAPR before I could get my Saitek throttles and trim wheel to work properly. I might suggest that you do the same if not for the fact that FSX is unaffected. That suggests the problem is with FS9 rather than a fundamental driver or hardware problem. I don’t have any experience with the profile editor that you are using, but the fact that it has worked before suggests that it is ok. I think what I would do for a start is to delete all axis assignments in FS9 (especially the sneaky ones at the bottom of the page), remove the throttles from FS9 devices list, and then connect the throttles only. Then check the devices.cfg file to see what axis events have been assigned to them.
Sinkrate
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby zswobbie1 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:04 am

Sounds like duplicate assignments?

I'm using CHProducts yoke & pedals with my FS9 (3x versions) & P3D, with no issues at all. I'm not using the ChProducts software at all, only FSUIPC for all controls & calibration. With this, I can also use one of the switches on the yoke as a gear switch. FSUIPC lets you move the switch up for gear up & down for gear down, so you have separate switching, instead of using 'G' for both.

Best of luck.
Robin
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby garymbuska » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:02 am

zswobbie1 wrote:Sounds like duplicate assignments?

I'm using CHProducts yoke & pedals with my FS9 (3x versions) & P3D, with no issues at all. I'm not using the ChProducts software at all, only FSUIPC for all controls & calibration. With this, I can also use one of the switches on the yoke as a gear switch. FSUIPC lets you move the switch up for gear up & down for gear down, so you have separate switching, instead of using 'G' for both.

Best of luck.
Robin

Thanks guys for the replies. I am fully aware of the driver problems with windows 10 after the last big update that Microsoft preformed with windows 10 I have since discovered that Saitek has released a new driver I have downloaded and installed it after removing the old one first. So far everything seems to be working correctly
I have the free version of FSUIPC and have never seen any real advantage to buying it at least for me. Everyone is different if that works for you than go for it. The profiler I use came with the product and it does everything that I need.
Windows 10 does have some interesting problems. I have to use safe mode to install the payware Airbus that I have as it will not install other wise even the manufacturer can not figure that one out. This actually first appeared when I went to Windows 8.1 64 bit from Windows XP 16 bit.
Who knows it might have something to do with running a 16 bit program on a 32 bit System.
But using safe mode it installs and works like it is supposed to.
I am using the CHproducts driver for my rudder peddles and have always used it
I just thought the fact that the throttle is what made the rudder kick was rather odd to say the least they are two different types of devices that plug into a USB port although my throttles plug into a dim plug on the Yoke and not directly into a USB port. I was turning down the sensitivities on my throttles which worked as well.
I plan on flying a flight using FS9 soon to really give it a work out.
<<v
Gary M Buska
garymbuska
Major
Major

Return to FS 2004 - A Century of Flight