We've lost another FS legend!

Forum dedicated to Microsoft FS2004 - "A Century of Flight".

We've lost another FS legend!

Postby zswobbie1 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:39 am

I was sad & surprised this morning, when I heard the news. It was just Friday past that I last communicated with Garry.

Garry, with Ed Moore, had the most innovative site, The Ford Tri-Motor Project. http://www.ford-tri-motor.net/frontpage.htm
Here you can find Garry's own catalogue of paints, the repository of Mike Stone's planes, Milton's planes, as well as the Ford Project.

Garry's work included an awesome range of paints, scenery, planes, and various projects, such as the Blackhawk project, India, Fordlandia, Manchukuo, & a whole bunch of scenery add-ons to compliment the various projects. One of his latest scenery add-ons included ramps. I have been a beta tester for Garry for the last few months, & we were testing things such as banked circular & oval tracks & runways, as well as a Death Star project.

Thanks to Garry, some time ago, for giving me back my simming mojo. I was getting very bored with the usual point to point flying, when I came across his site.
So, I went back to my simming roots, installed another instance of FS2004, & installed ALL of the add-ons I could find on the site.
I dropped Garry a line to thank him, & we became e-mail friends, as well as a beta tester. Garry was always open to new ideas, & the banked tracks & Death Star came about.

He always said that flight simming must be a bit of Fact, Fiction & Fun, & for me, this is what it has become.

Garry once told me an interesting story about himself....
'At the time Australia had military conscription in full swing for 18+ (to pump up troop numbers for the Vietnam war) and I though I would beat the system and try to join the RAAF for 3 years and avoid the conscript which was for 2 years in the Army with a guaranteed tour of Vietnam.

I was fortunate in being selected for the RAAF - only a very few got through the selection process as many other lads had the same idea :-) - the RAAF could afford to be very selective and for some reason I was one of the lucky ones.

I got married in my first year in the RAAF - and like an idiot volunteered for a Tour of Vietnam - only a 3 month stint - was better than a 12 month run by the Army lads. But as luck would have it - in the second week in country, whilst doing a Huey run over the jungle, had our chopper shot out of the sky by a Gunner in a USAF Huey who was shot by ground fire and died on the trigger of his machine gun and swept through our aircraft. I and one of our gunners survived the crash however I was pretty seriously wounded. After a scary night in the jungle we were picked up by a Chinook and ultimately full medivac back to Australia. Nearly a year of multiple surgeries and hospital to recover.

Over the last two years I have undergone several major surgery runs to correct some of the problems that were becoming disabling in regards to the war wounds over 40 years go. Was fortunate that the Senior Professor of Surgery (top Dog) here in Newcastle was invited in by my scheduled surgeon to consult on the issues. After discussing the circumstances and the difficulties expected he told my surgeon that he would take on the task and my surgeon could assist. Brilliant surgeon - sliced me from ribs to crutch and hip to hip and resolved most things in the first surgery run of 8 hours (3 surgeons working on me). Second run - two surgeons and 6 keyhole surgeries (5 hours) - removed remainder problems and then removed all scar tissue from my war wound and the recent surgery. Sewed everything up from the inside - not a stitch mark or scar on my stomach now. Unfortunately, all of the shuffling around inside encouraged a hernia to pop - so another surgery run - again three surgeons but only 4 hours of surgery - again no scars. Still recovering from the overall effects of the surgeries and still on pain meds etc - told it will take around 2 years for everything to settle down to normal - but life is a hell of a lot better than it was early last year. I am not supposed to be working for long hours anymore - but - how do you turn off having fun on the computer ?

Garry, L. Smith, yet another great guy that we have lost, our hobby will be far less without you, but your add-ons will live on, all over the world.

Blue Skys!!
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: We've lost another FS legend!

Postby pete » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:11 am

Garry Smith gone?

Sure you got the right guy? You say Garry L Smith but Garry - was Garry J Smith. .... ??

Last visited:
Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:57 am

Where did you hear that? Very, very sad.

Garry has been involved in this site for years and even designed a few of the graphics over the years. He also regularly made posts in the forums.

Man I'm quite shocked.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby zswobbie1 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:29 am

My appologies, It IS Garry J Smith.
Tom, at Sim-Outhouse, posted.
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby garymbuska » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:39 am

Sorry to hear this even though I never downloaded anything from him I could tell he was someone with a lot of ideas and was full of life.
he will be missed here
<<s
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby zswobbie1 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:10 am

Garry also did alot of paints for other developers, behind the scene, as it were. We all, unknown, in all probability, have some of Garry's paints on some of the planes we fly.
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby SG-19 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:52 am

Deeply sadden to hear this news. I have Downloaded many of his fantastic repaints for The Trimotor, Comet, DC-3 and many more. Fly free Gary, We will miss you. :angelic-yellow:
SG-19
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Jean Loup » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:46 am

We lost the legend but it's genious is living among us: today I downloaded from Gary's http://ford-tri-motor.net/ the Fleet Freighter. The site is active once more
:pray: :clap: :whistle:
...LiCENSE & REGiSTRATiON !!
Jean Loup
Captain
Captain

Postby Anthindelahunt » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:06 pm

That is so sad.A unique person who gave us
all some great gifts.
What a loss.

Anthin.
Anthindelahunt
Major
Major

Postby zswobbie1 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:34 am

Thanks, to Edward Moore, sponsor of the site, Garry's legacy lives on.
I have a separate install of FS2004, with all the scenery add-ons, planes & textures, and, as the site is the repository of Mike Stone's planes as well as Milton's older planes, I have those as well.
A special install, that is all about, as Garry has said, Fun, Facts & Fiction.
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:41 am

zswobbie1 wrote:Thanks, to Edward Moore, sponsor of the site, Garry's legacy lives on.

A big vote of thanks to Edward. :clap:

the site is the repository of Mike Stone's planes as well as Milton's older planes,

Unfortunately I found that the links to this part of the site are no longer working.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby zswobbie1 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:49 am

What a pity. Mike developed over 100 planes. quite basic, but still a lot of fun & useful. There were some unusual stuff. Sadly, only a few are available on the usual sites.

Actually, I found his zipped collection here, near the bottom of the page..
http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/fil ... loads-fs9/
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby zswobbie1 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:04 am

Me again.
I found that I actually had that zip file in my 'library'.
So, PM me if you are looking for anything.

Cheers,
Robin
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:32 am

Good one Robin. ;)

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby zswobbie1 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:56 am

We just cannot let these guys be forgotten. It's all very well having the latest hardware & sim, but these guys were the unsung heroes of ours in days gone by. Their legacy must carry on.
Bill & Lynn Lyons, Ed & Garry, these guys were actually before their time with their add-ons, &, I'm sure planted development seeds in quite a few of our current payware developers.
I got bored with the usual point to point flying, then I found GW & Golden Hawaii years ago. Now, I've combined those two with Ford Tri-Motor, with a lot of odd & unusual planes, boats, cars & trains!

For me, it does NOT just have to be flying. I can drive to an airport, fly to a sea base, sail etc. That, for me, is all part of our/my hobby. fun, Facts & Fiction.

A huge thanks to those developers that have not given up on us FS9'ers yet!

Cheers,
Robin
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Anthindelahunt » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:15 pm

I second that Robin.

Anthin. :handgestures-thumbupright:
Anthindelahunt
Major
Major