Add on scenery problems

Forum dedicated to Microsoft FS2004 - "A Century of Flight".

Add on scenery problems

Postby whirlwind 10 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:14 am

I have just deleted my FS9 and cleaned every thing out as I had far to many add on aircraft and scenery files and the frame rate was so low ,no surprise with all the junk I had loaded. I reinstalled with no problems and a frame rate I have not seen in years. As always with these tails there is a BUT , when I open my add on scenery in FS9 -Settings/scenery library/add area I get displayed my Libraries/My Documents file , try as I might I can not find a solution.
If I go C:/Programe files(86)/Microsoft games/FS9/ Add on scenery, I get the two files scenery and texture which if I remember is correct.
Any one have an idea as to a solution
having a serious senior moment !!
Richard Woodard
whirlwind 10
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Add on scenery problems

Postby zswobbie1 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:42 am

So, you are on the right track..
Scenery Library
Add Area
A window then opens and then you must navigate, using the up arrow, oy 'This PC' on the left hand side, to navigate where your flight simulation has been installed.
If it has been installed into its default directory, then click on..
This PC
scroll & find (C:) then click on it
scroll & find Program Files (x86) then click on it
scroll & find Microsoft Games then click on it
You will the see Flight Simulator 9 folder, click on it
Find 'Addon Scenery' & click on it..

Now, to add any add-on scenery that you have installed there ...
Click on the file name, this will open the requested scenery that you want to add..
& you will see the scenery & texture folder

NOW right click in an empty spot & that scenery will be added in

It's actually a lot quicker to do than to explain.
Good luck,

Cheers,
Robin
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby whirlwind 10 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:52 am

As usual I did not explain my problem very well, thank you for taking the trouble to post an answer Robin, but I am very familiar with adding scenery which I should have said.
I have added scenery in the manor you describe ,if I open FS9 in my "C" folder and navigate to Add on scenery the added scenery is in fact where it should be . Now open FS9 and click on settings then then scenery library then click add area what I am presented with in my documents file. My operating system is windows 7 64 bit
. When I click on Computer I get
Favorites
Libraries
Documents This is what I see when I click "Add area" in FS9
Music
Pictures
Videos
Home page
Computer
Local disc "C' FS9 sits here
whirlwind 10
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby garymbuska » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:37 am

Two questions
When you installed FS9 you did select the full install option?
Where did you install FS9 at?
If you were in a hurry you could have forgot to select the full install option which is what creates all of the scenery folders which would be one reason it can not find it.
Some people do not have the disk space and choose the other option which leaves the scenery on the install CD,S.
The quickest way to find out is to open the FS9 folder to see what folders are there if you do not see anything in the scenery folder there is your problem.
The quickest way to find out where FS9 is installed at is to right click on the FS9 ICON and click on properties.
As stated the default location is C:/Program files OR Program Files (86) for a 64 bit OS/Microsoft Games/FS9
If you are using windows 7 8 8.1 or Windows 10 it is better that you do not install in the default location. Permission problems can pop up if you do not. I know there are ways around this but it is so much easier just to install in a different location like C:/ FS9. Of course it is even better if you can install it on a separate drive but I know not every one can do this.
Myself I have FS9 on one drive FSX on a different drive and my C drive has my operating System on it.This is truly the best way but like I said not everyone can do this.
<<u
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby zswobbie1 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:48 am

Computer
Local disc "C' FS9 sits here

So, if you see C:\
Click in that, then scroll & find where FS9 is.
As you say, it should be in C:\ or Program Files or wherever..
Not a problem if when you try to add scenery with FS9 & the library does not find it, you just have to did a bit deeper within the listing.

It does not matter where the sim is installed. I went from Windows 7 to 10 without any problems. I have 2x versions of FS9, One in it's default place, & the other in C:\
I just turned the useless UAC settings right down, & ran as Admin. NEVER a days problem!
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby garymbuska » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:51 am

zswobbie1 wrote:It does not matter where the sim is installed. I went from Windows 7 to 10 without any problems. I have 2x versions of FS9, One in it's default place, & the other in C:\
I just turned the useless UAC settings right down, & ran as Admin. NEVER a days problem!

What you say is true it is one way around the permissions problem. The only problem is you really do not know if some third party program you download will work with it installed here.
I know it seems to work with no problems but why turn down the UAC settings when all you have to do is to install it outside the program files folder and not have to ever wonder if some third party program will not work because of the way windows 7 and windows 10 treats the program file folder.
But like I stated it is your system what ever works for you is fine by me. Just do not be surprised when something strange happens as a result of turning down the UAC
I mean there has to be a reason as to why Microsoft did this other than what you may think.
I am a firm believer in if something is not broke do not try to fix it. It may seem to work okay but the bottom line is you just never really know for sure.
I run FS9 as I always have and do not have to run it as Admin.
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby tgibson » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:53 am

It appears that your problem is not that you cannot find the scenery folder, but when you use Add Area FS9 is opening up to the wrong folder?

As I remember you must ADD an area first before FS9 will open to the parent folder of the last scenery you added. So install some addon scenery into the Addon Scenery folder (in its own separate folder), use Add Area to add it, and then the NEXT time you use Add Area it should open to the Addon Scenery folder. I think...
tgibson
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby garymbuska » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:50 am

tgibson wrote:It appears that your problem is not that you cannot find the scenery folder, but when you use Add Area FS9 is opening up to the wrong folder?

As I remember you must ADD an area first before FS9 will open to the parent folder of the last scenery you added. So install some addon scenery into the Addon Scenery folder (in its own separate folder), use Add Area to add it, and then the NEXT time you use Add Area it should open to the Addon Scenery folder. I think...

You are correct when you first install FS9 there is nothing in the addon scenery folder so when you put something there FS9 has no idea as where it is at so you have to tell it. You do this by clicking on the new scenery tab and by browsing to the addon scenery folder and highlighting the scenery you put there FS9 will install it the next time you start it up.
Than what I do is to create unique folders inside of the addon scenery folder and than when I click on the add new scenery tab FS9 will show the addon scenery folder and than all I have to do is to open the new folder and click on the scenery I just put there and restart FS9. If you just put the files inside of the addon scenery folder you will not have to manually activate it as FS9 will install it automatically when it is started. All you have to do is to put your new scenery files inside of the addon scenery folder and than inside the scenery folder. Because FS9 has all ready activated this folder any thing you put into it will be installed when you start up FS9/ I hope this makes sense to you. If not send me a private message and I will explain it step by step.
<<v
Gary M Buska
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby whirlwind 10 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:15 am

Thank you for all the reply's, I beg to differ on some points, I have been using FS2004 since the day it came on the market so I am not totally green , with a fresh FS9 download with nothing added this is what you should get when you go "settings/ scenery library/ add area " you should see the add area page with two blank files, scenery and texture . when you add scenery and you go to add area the scenery file you have added sits above these two blank files. Not the documents file with my wife's cooking recipes :-). Since my first mail I have experienced some odd behavior on my PC so I am going to clean out my "c " drive and my PC and do a new clean installation of windows 7 64Bit and start from scratch . I will some time in the next week or so let you know how I get on because I can not fine any reasonable explanation for what is happening ,I have cleaned out FS9 and reloaded and still get the same results !
whirlwind 10
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby tgibson » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:20 am

Be sure to install outside of any Program Files folders, to avoid permissions problems. That might be the cause of this behavior?
tgibson
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby whirlwind 10 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:23 am

This is where I show my lack of PC knowledge, what do you mean by -"-outside of any Program Files folders"
whirlwind 10
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby garymbuska » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:56 pm

whirlwind 10 wrote:This is where I show my lack of PC knowledge, what do you mean by -"-outside of any Program Files folders"

In any window system starting with windows 7 Microsoft made the PROGRAM FILE FOLDER protected so if you install any Microsoft flight simulator in this folder you could have issues with permissions. Of course you can turn down the UAC ( User Account Control) The best place to install is on a separate drive but if you do not have one just put it on your C drive in any folder other than Program File folder. Some people use FS9 as the folder name .
Myself I have FS9 on one drive and FSX on a different drive and than my operating system is on the C drive. But I have a custom built system I could put up to four internal hard drives in my system
The advantages of building your own system you can pretty much do what ever you want as long as you have the money to pay for it.
Gary M Buska
garymbuska
Major
Major

Return to FS 2004 - A Century of Flight