Diference between Addon Scenery & Generic Scenery

Forum dedicated to Microsoft FS2004 - "A Century of Flight".

Diference between Addon Scenery & Generic Scenery

Postby Jean Loup » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:21 pm

I do a lot of addon Sceneries in my three FS 2004 versions, since I love Low&Slow flights with small aircraft. Some environment designers recomend copy bgl files into your FS9/Addon Scenery/Scenery folder, and all bmp files into your FS9/Addon Scenery/Texture folder :think: :think: Others recomend copy bgl files into your FS9\Scenery\Generic\scenery, & copy all the textures into your FS9\Scenery\Generic\texture :doh: :doh: Wich is best?
<<q <<q <<q
...LiCENSE & REGiSTRATiON !!
Jean Loup
Captain
Captain

Re: Diference between Addon Scenery & Generic Scenery

Postby papituwall » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:34 am

Usually a Scenery (scene + textuŕes) should be installed in Addon Scenery.in order to activate it. This is because it is a new layer.
If installs something in Generic, maybe is replacing an area of the base scenery but not creating a new layer.
Better follow instructions.
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby Captain Midnight » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:39 am

Addon Scenery. each under their own Folder, each with their own Scenery and Texture Folder .... except for Land Class (No Texture Folder).
Ease in Adding and Deleting from your scenery should you so desire.
Captain Midnight
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Jean Loup » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:01 pm

Some examples with readme screen shots:
1- recomending fs9/scenery/generic/scenery & fs9/scenery/generic/texture:

2- recomending fs9/addon scenery/scenery & fs9/addon scenery/texture:

I added this files one way & the other way, and BOTH WORK. BUT... wich is more efficient? less memory sucker? affects FS 2004 opening speed?
:violin: :violin: :violin: Why are there two folders with the same function?? :think: :think: :think:
Jean Loup
Captain
Captain

Postby ViperPilot » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:22 pm

In my experience, I've used both Methods and they seem to work fine, without any noticeable difference in function.

I use a stand alone Folder for all of the Scenery that has separate Texture & Scenery sub-folders, and put the ones with just a single Scenery sub-folder into the FS9 Add On Scenery location. I stick all of the AF_2 bgl Files into Addon Scenery/Scenery.

There are probably other Methods that folks use, but this one seems to work for me.

Alan :ugeek: :think:
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Postby Hagar » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:27 am

First of all I would ignore all instructions to unzip/extract 3rd party files direct to the FS directories. Files could end up anywhere & you have no way of knowing file names or where they went. Default files could also be overwritten without your knowledge which could mess up your whole FS installation.

The Addon Scenery\scenery (& texture) folders are activated by default. Installing BGL files to this directory means that you have no control over the priority of your 3rd party scenery or the ability to deactivate/delete it at will. Much better to follow Captain Midnight's advice & activate it via the Scenery Library.
Captain Midnight wrote:Addon Scenery. each under their own Folder, each with their own Scenery and Texture Folder .... except for Land Class (No Texture Folder).

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby garymbuska » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:52 am

I have always put textures for a specific scenery in the texture folder of that scenery. Not all scenery you download will have textures if this is the case I delete the texture folder as it is not needed. Mind you this is not really needed but I just do not like empty folders on any of my hard drives.
The way around having to activate new scenery is to have the addon scenery folder activated and put the new scenery in that folder the next time you crank up FS it will activate it.
One thing you should be aware of is that by default all new scenery will get put on top of the list so it will display first. Sometimes you might not want this.
You can use the built in scenery editor to change the priority of any scenery or edit the scenery.cfg file. Be careful if you do it this way as you have to make sure that the numbers stay in sequential order and no number is skipped or is out of order.
I would suggest that unless you know what you are doing to leave the scenery.cfg file alone. If you make mistakes here it could cause the game to crash.
<<u
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Jean Loup » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:38 am

garymbuska wrote:...One thing you should be aware of is that by default all new scenery will get put on top of the list so it will display first. Sometimes you might not want this.
You can use the built in scenery editor to change the priority of any scenery or edit the scenery.cfg file. Be careful if you do it this way as you have to make sure that the numbers stay in sequential order and no number is skipped or is out of order.
I would suggest that unless you know what you are doing to leave the scenery.cfg file alone. If you make mistakes here it could cause the game to crash.
<<u

Thank you, I NEVER have needed to modify the scenery.cfg file. And yes, some sceneries have a certain position in that scenery library list, ussually the lower the better, BUT allways on top of PROPELLER OBJECTS & the rest of default library list.
<<t
Jean Loup
Captain
Captain

Postby Jean Loup » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:00 am

Hagar wrote:First of all I would ignore all instructions to unzip/extract 3rd party files direct to the FS directories. Files could end up anywhere & you have no way of knowing file names or where they went. Default files could also be overwritten without your knowledge which could mess up your whole FS installation.

I do all my addons manually, just in case.

Hagar wrote:The Addon Scenery\scenery (& texture) folders are activated by default. Installing BGL files to this directory means that you have no control over the priority of your 3rd party scenery or the ability to deactivate/delete it at will. Much better to follow Captain Midnight's advice & activate it via the Scenery Library.
Captain Midnight wrote:Addon Scenery. each under their own Folder, each with their own Scenery and Texture Folder .... except for Land Class (No Texture Folder).

Some Addons Scenarios have both: the folders to be activated (with sub. scenery & texture) by FS 2004 library settings & other extras to be added to Addon Scenery/scenery & Addon Scenery/texture... while other creators prefer or recommend to install such extras in FS9/Scenery/Generic/Scenery & FS9/Scenery/Generic/texture. Just wondering why, I experimented (with those extra files only) installing either way & no change in displaying those files correctly.

WHY do they work equally well? :think: :think: :think: me have no problem with sceneries :mrgreen: only with my ignorance :doh:
Jean Loup
Captain
Captain

Postby Hagar » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:11 am

Jean Loup wrote:Some Addons Scenarios have both: the folders to be activated (with sub. scenery & texture) by FS 2004 library settings & other extras to be added to Addon Scenery/scenery & Addon Scenery/texture... while other creators prefer or recommend to install such extras in FS9/Scenery/Generic/Scenery & FS9/Scenery/Generic/texture. Justb wondering why, I experimented (with those extra files only) installing either way & no change in displaying those files correctly.

WHY do they work equally well? Just wondering :think: :think: :think: me have no problem with sceneries :mrgreen: only with my ignorance :doh:

I suspect it's a matter of priority. Both folders are activated by default with Generic below Addon Scenery on the Scenery Library list.

I prefer to create a new sub-folder in Addon Scenery & activate it via the Scenery Library. I then have full control over priority & can disable/delete it at will.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Jean Loup » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:08 pm

Thank you all for your assistance.
<<r <<v
<<t
Jean Loup
Captain
Captain

Postby zswobbie1 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:57 am

In my case, I have 3x versions of FS2004.. a normal one, a Golden Wings version, & a Ford Tri-Motor Project version.
I ooften decide that I want certain scenery in more than one, so, instead of duplicating, I just point to library to one of the other sim's libraries.

Also, I cannot over emphasize, ALWAYS unzip/install into a temp folder first. This way, you know what is going to be added, & also, often the readme will be easy to get hold of.
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Return to FS 2004 - A Century of Flight