English GUI versus Italian - swapout experiment

Forum dedicated to Microsoft FS2004 - "A Century of Flight".

English GUI versus Italian - swapout experiment

Postby MJAModeo » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:38 am

Hello everyone, I have a bit of an odd request.
Although I am American I have been living in Italy for 30 years so when I bought FS2004 it was in Italian (and unlike more modern softwares the installation did not give me a choice of language). I have studied the possibility of changing the GUI and ATC text to English and my experience as a computer programmer leads me to believe that FS2004 is a pretty simple and straightforward software design. I believe that if I can swap the "language.dll". "usenglishbig.gvp" (yes, they couldn't change the name of the file for compatabiliy reasons with the rest of the already compiled files), and the "usenglishasos.gvp" with the same files from an english installation (makeing back-up copies of the originals AS ALWAYS!) it should work. In many compiled files you can change ONLY the text lines without adversely affecting it's function. Also, in microsofts typical rush to get products into stores before they are complete, all the "wav" files are in English already! - I guess it was too much work for them to make new language "wav" files! What I am asking is if anyone with an English installation of FS2004 could be so kind as to find those 3 files and e-mail them to me so I can try this operation I would be very greatful.
If I manage to do this I will of course post the process and results for the benefit of others who may wish to do the same.
Thanks,
Mark
amodeomarkj@yahoo.it
Last edited by MJAModeo on Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
MJAModeo
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: English GUI versus Italian - swapout experiment

Postby MJAModeo » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:41 am

Sorry, please post replies to the second version of this post ... I forgot something in this one ...
MJAModeo
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby MJAModeo » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:35 am

"Sorry, please post replies to the second version of this post ... I forgot something in this one ..."
O.K. .... they erased the second post so you can answer to this one ... Argh!
MJAModeo
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby garymbuska » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:45 am

MJAModeo wrote:Hello everyone, I have a bit of an odd request.
Although I am American I have been living in Italy for 30 years so when I bought FS2004 it was in Italian (and unlike more modern softwares the installation did not give me a choice of language). I have studied the possibility of changing the GUI and ATC text to English and my experience as a computer programmer leads me to believe that FS2004 is a pretty simple and straightforward software design. I believe that if I can swap the "language.dll". "usenglishbig.gvp" (yes, they couldn't change the name of the file for compatabiliy reasons with the rest of the already compiled files), and the "usenglishasos.gvp" with the same files from an english installation (makeing back-up copies of the originals AS ALWAYS!) it should work. In many compiled files you can change ONLY the text lines without adversely affecting it's function. Also, in microsofts typical rush to get products into stores before they are complete, all the "wav" files are in English already! - I guess it was too much work for them to make new language "wav" files! What I am asking is if anyone with an English installation of FS2004 could be so kind as to find those 3 files and e-mail them to me so I can try this operation I would be very greatful.
If I manage to do this I will of course post the process and results for the benefit of others who may wish to do the same.
Thanks,
Mark
amodeomarkj@yahoo.it

If the files are to big you might not be able to forward then by email. Most email servers have limits as to the size of a file you can send. When you first installed fs2004 it should give you the option as to what language you want to install it in.
You must have used a default install and because your windows was not English it automatically installed Italian as the language. If you uninstall it and make sure to remove all of the old files especially the FS2004.CFG file and than reinstall using a custom install option this should allow you to select the language you want.
<<s
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby MJAModeo » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:15 pm

Thanks for answering Gary,
I douple checked the four cds in the italian edition and even in every CAB file but it seems that MS did not think it worthwhile including an english option for the italian market -- they have always been naive. You are right about the fact that most e-mail servers have a limit on the size. Although there is a way to work around that I think that for the time being I could do a first experiment with just the language.dll which is very small ... if that works then I am on the right track and can try to get hold of the GVP files somewhere. If it's no trouble could you send me the language.dll so that I can see if that works.
Thanks
MJAModeo
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Fozzer » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:08 pm

Why not purchase the sealed English version of FS 2004 from Amazon, costing a few Pounds/Euros?

That is what I did, to back-up my original copy of FS 2004. Its cheap enough!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Flig ... ds=FS+2004

Paul.... :mrgreen: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby MJAModeo » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:19 am

You're right Paul, I already thought of that but I have been unemployed for some time and if I have to choose between another copy of FS2004 in English or pipe tabacco ... well .... one vice out-weighs the other :)
If I EVER manage to find a new job then that's what I will do but in the meantime I am trying to find another solution.
MJAModeo
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby garymbuska » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:32 pm

MJAModeo wrote:You're right Paul, I already thought of that but I have been unemployed for some time and if I have to choose between another copy of FS2004 in English or pipe tabacco ... well .... one vice out-weighs the other :)
If I EVER manage to find a new job then that's what I will do but in the meantime I am trying to find another solution.

When I get home I will see if I can send it to you. I think the biggest file is the USEBIGENGLISH file I think that is the name or something like that.
I will look on my system and see when I can get the chance <<u
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby garymbuska » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:43 pm

I have emailed you the three files hopefully they all went okay let me know if this is not the case
<<r
Gary M Buska
garymbuska
Major
Major

Return to FS 2004 - A Century of Flight