"Osa's Ark" texture for Sikorsky S-38

What aircraft have you been unable to find after a long search? There may be an answer!

"Osa's Ark" texture for Sikorsky S-38

Postby Jean Loup » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:15 pm

I have the wonderfull S-39SC "Spirit of Africa" & would like its companion in my FS stable (Golden Wings FS 2004). This texture should be added to the mega package FSX update for the FS2002/2004 twin-engine-prop amphibious Sikorsky S-38 by George Diemer (http://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1 ... egoryId=66). I post a picture of "Osa's Ark":

Muchas Gracias, Jean.
<<t
...LiCENSE & REGiSTRATiON !!
Jean Loup
Captain
Captain

Re: "Osa's Ark" texture for Sikorsky S-38

Postby FlexibleFlier » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:49 pm

Here is a papercraft model of this interesting airplane that you can build with scissors, some white glue and a bit of patience: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9wjqgi15o668q28/Sikorsky%20S-38.pdf?dl=0.
FlexibleFlier
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Jean Loup » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:18 pm

I started my flying experiences with silk & balsa Wood control liners, later went to RC. I stoped modeling when ultralights came into the picture, never made a papercraft model before. I will give it a try!! THANK YOU FlexibleFlier :clap:
Jean
<<t
Jean Loup
Captain
Captain

Postby OldAirmail » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:30 pm

Thanks, Jean, for bringing this plane to my attention. I'm not really sure if I've ever seen it's picture before, but I like it.

I downloaded & installed the updated FSX version. I like it, but....

Perhaps whoever can fix you up, could also post a fix for this problem. It's a nice flyer and I didn't notice anything else wrong with it.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Jean Loup » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:37 pm

OldAirmail wrote:Thanks, Jean, for bringing this plane to my attention. I'm not really sure if I've ever seen it's picture before, but I like it.
I downloaded & installed the updated FSX version. I like it, but....
http://www.simviation.com/phpupload/uploads/1485450991.jpg
http://www.simviation.com/phpupload/uploads/1485419000.jpg
Perhaps whoever can fix you up, could also post a fix for this problem. It's a nice flyer and I didn't notice anything else wrong with it.

Hope that you downloaded the mega pack, not the standalone PanAm S-38. I installed her in my Golden Wings versión of FS2004, because in FSX (demo) I have an water line intruder in the cockpit, but this also hapens in Golden Wings:

When I look at your S-38, my FSX (demo) has differences in deploying some textures, like the landing gear & the engines:

I find that very consistent with other FS2004 aircraft updated to FSX, some minor texture or other is translated in black when installed in FSX (in my Demo, at least. I also noticed that before I buy the full FSX version, first I will need to add more RAM, from 4.00 GB to maybe 8.00 GB if posible) :think: :think: :think:
<<t
Jean Loup
Captain
Captain

Postby FlexibleFlier » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:56 pm

If you're willing to spend a few $$$, Golden Age Simulations has a very nice, somewhat similar airplane in the Douglas Dolphin RD; the purchase includes the Catalina seaplane base of the 1930's: http://www.goldenagesimulations.com/douglas-dolphin-rd-fsx.html

Altogether a nice little package.
FlexibleFlier
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby FlexibleFlier » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:59 pm

Jean Loup wrote:I started my flying experiences with silk & balsa Wood control liners, later went to RC. I stopped modeling when ultralights came into the picture, never made a papercraft model before. I will give it a try!! THANK YOU FlexibleFlier :clap:
Jean
<<t

Jean, I hope you have some fun with it. I recommend 67lb. paper; usual printer paper of about 20lb. warps quite easily. If you like your result, perhaps you will post a picture or two for us.
FlexibleFlier
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:27 am

Jean Loup wrote:When I look at your S-38, my FSX (demo) has differences in deploying some textures, like the landing gear & the engines:

I find that very consistent with other FS2004 aircraft updated to FSX, some minor texture or other is translated in black when installed in FSX (in my Demo, at least. I also noticed that before I buy the full FSX version, first I will need to add more RAM, from 4.00 GB to maybe 8.00 GB if posible) :think: :think: :think: <<t

Jean. You will also find that some FS2004 aircraft that display perfectly well in the FSX demo will need modifying to work in the full version & others are just not compatible at all. This is the reason that people report problems with some of the earlier "FSX updates" (like that standalone PanAm S-38) compiled before the full version + SP1 & 2* were released.

*Note: FSX SP2 was released on 14 December 2007

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Jean Loup » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:02 pm

FlexibleFlier wrote: Jean, I hope you have some fun with it. I recommend 67lb. paper; usual printer paper of about 20lb. warps quite easily. If you like your result, perhaps you will post a picture or two for us.

I will use presentation card paper for my model. About picture posting... like we say in México: MAÑANA :shifty: :o :doh:
Jean Loup
Captain
Captain

Postby Jean Loup » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:11 pm

FlexibleFlier wrote:If you're willing to spend a few $$$, Golden Age Simulations has a very nice, somewhat similar airplane in the Douglas Dolphin RD; the purchase includes the Catalina seaplane base of the 1930's: http://www.goldenagesimulations.com/douglas-dolphin-rd-fsx.html

Altogether a nice little package.

Very nice BUT me no money :snooty: stuck with shareware, now strugling for more RAM in my Lap. After that, will strugle for FSX don't know what edition yet :doh:
<<v <<t
Jean Loup
Captain
Captain

Postby Jean Loup » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:07 pm

Hagar wrote:Jean. You will also find that some FS2004 aircraft that display perfectly well in the FSX demo will need modifying to work in the full version & others are just not compatible at all. This is the reason that people report problems with some of the earlier "FSX updates" (like that standalone PanAm S-38) compiled before the full version + SP1 & 2* were released.

*Note: FSX SP2 was released on 14 December 2007

HOLA don HAGAR, you are very very right. Most FS9/FSX configured aircraft, have some deficiency in FSX rendering details. Some in FS9 like revolving propellers being solid discs are easy to correct changing prop textures with DXTBmp. Usually, those that I like the most (Murphy at work :( ) are uncompatible for both FS9 & FSX (demo: must be very old by now I guess). Some examples:
:doh:

But alles nicht kapput, this aircraft are FS2004 uncompatible & perform very satisfying in my FSX Demo: like the Edgley Optica even gained a pilot in FSX versión, or the Taylor J-2 Piper Cub predecesor, or the incredible Icon A5. Or the Vintage Taube, very detailed. The Cessna 152 was a gift from the past (don't know why I have it but is excellent, my kind of real life aircraft when I worked as a jungle mechanic in SouthEast México, early 70's) I also have flown in a powered hang glider like the Air Creation Trike, minus body & undercarriage: it was mounted on floats & was one of my best flights (as passenger replacing the pilot seat back) amazingly manouverable and landing in the proverbial dime, didn't even splash my feet.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
<<v <<t
Jean Loup
Captain
Captain

Postby Hagar » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:55 am

Jean Loup wrote:HOLA don HAGAR, you are very very right. Most FS9/FSX configured aircraft, have some deficiency in FSX rendering details. Some in FS9 like revolving propellers being solid discs are easy to correct changing prop textures with DXTBmp. Usually, those that I like the most (Murphy at work :( ) are uncompatible for both FS9 & FSX (demo: must be very old by now I guess). Some examples:
:doh:

The aircraft in your examples are all FSX Native models created with the FSX SDK. (The quick way of identifying an FSX Native aircraft is that they have main & interior MDL files & textures in DDS format.) The reason for them not displaying correctly for you is that the FSX Demo cannot handle texture resolutions higher than 1024 x 1024. The Beagle Pup main texture is 4096 x 4096!
You should be able to fix the Pup easily enough by resizing the textures named pup_gauges.dds & pup 1.dds to 1024 x 1024 using DXTBmp. (Don't forget to resize the Alpha Channels too.)

It's a long time since I used the FSX Demo so I can't check this out. The other aircraft in your examples will need more work as they use more high-res textures than the Pup.

PS. If you check the "Show all variations" box on the Aircraft Selection menu you will get more liveries to choose from.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Jean Loup » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:56 pm

Hagar wrote:The aircraft in your examples are all FSX Native models created with the FSX SDK. (The quick way of identifying an FSX Native aircraft is that they have main & interior MDL files & textures in DDS format.) The reason for them not displaying correctly for you is that the FSX Demo cannot handle texture resolutions higher than 1024 x 1024. The Beagle Pup main texture is 4096 x 4096!
You should be able to fix the Pup easily enough by resizing the textures named pup_gauges.dds & pup 1.dds to 1024 x 1024 using DXTBmp. (Don't forget to resize the Alpha Channels too.)

It's a long time since I used the FSX Demo so I can't check this out. The other aircraft in your examples will need more work as they use more high-res textures than the Pup.

Gracias Hagar, that's an excellent orientation for fixing my problema & disapointment. I can live restricted to the Caribean área & for ONE hour, since all flights there are short, anyway. But more aircraft variety is needed!! Working on Textures (very good program that DXTBmp) :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hagar wrote:PS. If you check the "Show all variations" box on the Aircraft Selection menu you will get more liveries to choose from.

Yes thank you, I know that ;) but then it won't fit the SELECT AiRCRAFT window for the photo.
<<v <<t
Jean Loup
Captain
Captain

Postby Jean Loup » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:52 pm

Gracias Hagar, tested Beagle Pup 150 & O.K. Now modifying the other aircraft textures:

Jean Loup
Captain
Captain

Postby Hagar » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:02 pm

Excellent! 8-)

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Aircraft Wanted