Converting some Alpha Bitmap files !

FSSC, Airport 2.*, CfgEdit, etc. Get to grips with designing Scenery & Panels here!

Converting some Alpha Bitmap files !

Postby Gringo6 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:08 pm

Alpha has posted a whole bunch of their panel bmp. files to help those who are trying to make a 2D panel
for their favorite airplanes which are lacking one. I've used several and they really help.

But, some of their bmp. files have a bluish-green background instead of black 0,0,0. So they do not render transparent
when used in FS9 which makes them not usable. UNLESS there is a way convert them.

Is there a way using the paint program (or some other program) make this conversion ?

It would be a big help for us poor boys who still prefer a 2D panel over a VC one.
Gringo6
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: Converting some Alpha Bitmap files !

Postby stephan » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:45 am

When I go to change/modify/repaint ANYTHING in FS9,I use Photoshop 7. A lot of sim sites mention Paint shop Pro quite often,but for me,Photoshop is much easier...maybe because I've used it since Photohop3. When I open a bmp,the FIRST thing I look for it the mode of the bmp. Is it straight bmp or indexed. I found that if I try to edit an indexed bmp before converting it in Photoshop to straight bmp format,the colors NEVER come out as expected,including black. I have even had black show as red. SO,I convert the index to straight bmp,...do my work,...then convert the bmp back to index,...flatten all levels of the bmp,and save it. Never had a panel or repaint show bad using that process.If one isnt familiar with Photoshop,my explanation here may seem vague at best,but I'll try to keep an eye on this thread,and if any further questions arise,I'll try to be more specific. But as far as answering questions regarding other paint programs,I am at a loss,and wont be able to help.
stephan

Postby Gringo6 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:33 pm

I don't know what you mean when you say "mode of the bmp" How can I find that ?

All I know about photoshop you could put in your eye and not notice it.

I'd just like to use the prepared Alpha bit map and have the background show as transparent in FS9.
Gringo6
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby stephan » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:35 am

Gringo6... Here's a link to ( for me) the best editor when used with Photoshop. I use this program to open my ac bmp,whether it is a texture or a panel bmp. Once it shows on this programs screen,I remember what format it is in by the description shown at the top of the screen. Then in the top tool bar,I click on SEND TO EDITOR... (you assign an editor such as Photoshop in the preferences section of the program). Once the bmp is in Photoshop,I look at the IMAGE drop down menu,and see what format it is,..ie., Indexed,16 bit BMP or 32 bit BMP. It is almost ALWAYS either Index or 8 bit. If it is Index,I convert it right there to BMP and begin editing. Once I finish,I click on the IMAGE drop down menu again,click to turn it back into Index. Then,I go to the Layer drop down menu on the tool bar,and click Flatten Layers. Then,I click on File drop down and click Save. You can then leave Photoshop. Return to the DXT program,click on the menu bar to reload the image,and save it in it's original format. Sounds a little complicated,but,if you take it step by step,and use a little common sense ( no insult intended...the common sense I speak of is," If I do this,what will happen"), it becomes rather easy and self explanatory. It really is easier than it sounds. Once you get the hang of it,you'll be modifying all sorts of BMPs for your ac textures and panels. I'll be happy to continue to try and explain further it you need me. Down load this program. It is indispensable for sim editing.// // http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htm
stephan

Return to Scenery & Panel Design