Oscillating throttle in autothrottle/autopilot

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

Oscillating throttle in autothrottle/autopilot

Postby stephan » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:42 pm

Here's the problem. Whether it is a real and desired trait for actual small military aircraft isnt the point here...at least for me. I have reasons why I dislike that trait. When I set my desired IAS on my autopilot,and engage the autopilot and then the autothrottle, the small (and mainly military ) aircraft suffer an oscillation of the throttle. The ac wont obtain and maintain a smooth speed. It speeds up some,then slows some,then speeds up,then slows some.....) There HAS to be a setting in the cfg and or air file that will prevent this. Does anyone have the answer to this problem?
stephan

Re: Oscillating throttle in autothrottle/autopilot

Postby Awaken » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:09 pm

You might want to look at the Aircraft.cfg under [autopilot], there is a entry called max_throttle_rate=x.xxxx. From what i understand, .10000 would be about 10% throttle adjustment per second for the autothrottle. Maybe bumping up that number might smooth the autothrottle out. Hope this helps. :pray: <<q
AMD R5 1600 AF on ASROCK B450, Teamgroup 16GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1650 Super , 500 GB SSD and 3TB HDD, EVGA 500W PS, ASUS 27in. MX27A 2k monitor, Windows 10
Awaken
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby stephan » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:50 pm

AWAKEN...Thanks bud !!! I'll give is a shot. I seem to have read something similar to that somewhere else a couple days ago,but who ever had posted it on the other site didnt offer any suggestions to that value. I appreciate your reply and will give it a try in a few moments. In the middle of a Yakisoba meal at the moment,hehehe.
stephan

Postby Fozzer » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:08 pm

stephan wrote:AWAKEN...Thanks bud !!! I'll give is a shot. I seem to have read something similar to that somewhere else a couple days ago,but who ever had posted it on the other site didnt offer any suggestions to that value. I appreciate your reply and will give it a try in a few moments. In the middle of a Yakisoba meal at the moment,hehehe.

...just curious, Steph.... ;) ...>>>

http://norecipes.com/recipe/yakisoba-recipe

Paul....anything food-related, and I'm interested... :D ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Awaken » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:50 pm

Hah... Someone mentioned food, I knew Fozzer wouldn't be far behind :P :lol:
AMD R5 1600 AF on ASROCK B450, Teamgroup 16GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1650 Super , 500 GB SSD and 3TB HDD, EVGA 500W PS, ASUS 27in. MX27A 2k monitor, Windows 10
Awaken
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby stephan » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:11 am

Fozzer wrote:
stephan wrote:AWAKEN...Thanks bud !!! I'll give is a shot. I seem to have read something similar to that somewhere else a couple days ago,but who ever had posted it on the other site didnt offer any suggestions to that value. I appreciate your reply and will give it a try in a few moments. In the middle of a Yakisoba meal at the moment,hehehe.

...just curious, Steph.... ;) ...>>>

http://norecipes.com/recipe/yakisoba-recipe

Paul....anything food-related, and I'm interested... :D ...!

Yeah BUDDY !!! I am a Yakisoba JUNKIE !!! Back when I was in the orient in the very early 70's,I bought 3 sets of ebony wood chopsticks inlaid with abalone . I use them exclusively for eating my Yakisoba. If'n I see any good recipies,I'll post 'em for ya. :lol:
stephan

Postby stephan » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:20 pm

I tried that adjustment to the autothrottle setting in the ac cfg file and no improvement was made,even after several different modifications.I dont think something like the problem I posted originally is located in the mdl file. If I'm thinking correctly,the mdl file is mainly the ac physical structure data..while the actual aerodynamics and flight characteristics are controlled by the ac cfg and air files. I could be wrong,but I dont have a mdl disassembler program to peek at those kinds of files,( tho I wish I did have a program that would do just that...anyone know of one?). So,it seems to me the problem exists in either the ac cfg file or the air file or both...BUT,I have gone thru those files with a fine toothed comb and every setting that seems to deal with throttling and fuel feel,I have scrutinized intently...changes the ones that seemed a possibility,and still no improvement.So,I sit at ground zero,in the same problem as before.
stephan

Postby Awaken » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:58 pm

Sorry to hear that stephan. I agree with your last post, all flight dynamics are handle in the CFG and AIR files as far as I know. I have had similar problems in aircraft before, unfortunately, a few I could never get the auto throttle to work correctly. Best of luck with finding a fix and let us know how it goes. ^-^
Awaken
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby stephan » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:52 am

Will do Awaken,.tho I dont hold out much hopes . I still would like to find a program that would let me disassemble the mdl file. I know there are such programs. I have seen many (over the years) ac designers who revamp the mdl files of ac created by others (with their permission I assume). Since I dont fly on the net,I change a LOT of features and data on the ac I use without feeling like I have trespassed on the designers rights. I modify simply for my own benefit . If I could round up a mdl disassembler program,I'd be in heaven. It's about the only kind of program I dont have to do complete overhauls on some of the ac.
stephan

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design