To 10 or not to 10

PC Software. Anything to do with PC Games & software!

Re: To 10 or not to 10

Postby pete » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:54 am

The more we go on, the more software companies seem to be pandering to the clueless ... and for obvious reasons. (most people are coding/software disinterested)

But for those of us that like to be in control of our digital lives, the likes of W10 (& apple iphones) have less appeal - at least they do for me.

I have given it a try on 2 of my PC's - one changed from W8 (not too much different) and my main PC from W7 (a lot different)

There are a lot of things that have become a pain now - like quick accessing of various programs from the side menu (I will have maybe 20 or 30 there which were easy to access in W7 - now I have to click 'all apps' and scroll - a pain). I also find that moving folders or notepad windows around requires me to click 2x on the folder before it seems to believe I would want to move it)

So I think I'll revert to W7 on my main PC and maybe keep it on laptop - just to give myself the knowledge of it.

I can't actually see any benefit or improvement for someone like me, on W10 to be honest. It probably appeals to those who like everything to be done for them by the device rather than be incontrol of their device - the 'iphone brigade'.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Fozzer » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:05 am

To make things easier for me, (I like "Easier"... :D ...), what I have always done in my various versions of Windows, is to run Windows in; "Windows Classic Mode", which bypasses all the "not-wanted" clutter and stuff, and gives me instant access to all my old, familiar, Windows '98/XP Screen-layout, Files and Folders!

So at the moment I am still running my Windows 8.1...in "Windows Classic Mode"!

..even my Motorbike, (like me), is a "Classic"... :dance: ...!

Paul... :D ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby zswobbie1 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:46 am

My upgraded, from W7 to W10 Laptop is perfect. No problems with my sims at all. I just need to update my webcam drivers.
I actually quite like the auto updates. At my age, I often forget to do it manually & far prefer an updated OS.

I'll get around to updating my W8.1 laptop shortly.

Re the so called 'privacy' issues....

I just laugh when I read what the tin foil brigade has to say.
So, the following are currently 'sharing' my info on my devices:
Google, HERE GPS, ( they share my location, including how many times I go to the toilet, Microsoft, Apple, AVG Free share info, my VPN also shares stuff.

So, should I be worried? I really do not think so.. Oh, Android has an app that makes the phone vibrate.... OMG, I really must tell my GF to be more discrete...
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Roypcox » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:26 am

I am currently on W10 and can`t really recommend it. The reason being I can`t get fs9 to load even with Gary's help still no fs9. Once you download it you have 30 days to switch back to W7. Once that has past its too late to switch. The startup menus are different no contol panel on menu you right click on the start menu to find all of your windows that were on the start up menu. There are some other things that are different also but kind of minor . Downloading is about the same as W7 for FSX and Steam. I am elderly and don`t adapt to new stuff easily.
Roypcox
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Steve M » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:19 pm

The same month Win10 started nagging me, Microsoft retired support for PC Xbox games. You can't sign in anymore so you'll need win 10 or an Xbox. Those pricks have a way of pushing people to agree with them. Except when they ran up against the banks that most were running ATMs on win XP software. ^-^
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby Eagle eye » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:00 pm

When I loaded FSX on my Windows 7 64bit system I installed it on a separate SSD. What I would like to know is if I was to get a new Windows 10 64bit desktop computer and then install that SSD as an additional drive number, say (F: ) would it run and function as normal. In other words is Win10 capable of running an SSD loaded in Win7. I have so much data on that drive reloading it all again doesn’t bear thinking about.
Eagle eye
Ground hog
Ground hog

Previous

Return to Computer Games & Software