To 10 or not to 10

PC Software. Anything to do with PC Games & software!

To 10 or not to 10

Postby expat » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:55 am

So we are now a few months down the road with the release of Windows 10 and I have still not yet upgraded.
I have looked over the shoulder of a couple of people who have and they seem happy with it. I have held off due to the the information 10 wants to share.
Are there any users here who wish to share opinions, should I upgrade or should I stay put..........?

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: To 10 or not to 10

Postby ozzy72 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:40 am

How much more difficult do you want life to be?
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby papituwall » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:50 am

I have been unable of upgrading my laptop from win 7 to 10. Always error.
I have forgotten this upgrade i think I'm not the only with this problem.
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby Hagar » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:16 am

I've just reverted to Windows 8.1 from Windows 10. I had no problems with 10 apart from the automatic Windows Update which cannot be disabled. This caused some sort of conflict every time it updated. After a long time trying various suggestions the only way I found over this extremely annoying problem was to do a System Restore to a special restore point I created for the purpose & do the update manually. This meant reinstalling any software I had installed after the restore point. What a complete & utter waste of time. :?

My advice would be to steer clear of Windows 10 until they've sorted out the inevitable bugs. Don't register for the update unless you intend installing it or it will attempt to install every time you start your PC. :x

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Jetranger » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:07 am

The old saying - If its NOT broke - don't Fix it ~ !!!!

If shes Pretty - don't make her any Uglier !!

What ya can't see - won't hurt ya' !!

K-I-S-S / Keep it simple Stupid ~ !!!

Old CB Radio Chatter - 10 - 10 and sittin on the side !!!
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:32 am

Windows 10?..... :o ...!

Me?

.....I'm sill using Sinclair BASIC.... :D ...!

No problemo!... :dance: ....!

Paul.... :lol: ... :lol: ...!

Back to the past:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinclair_BASIC
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Sinkrate » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:12 am

Here’s my two-penneth for what it’s worth:

I am currently running Win 2K, Win XP, Win 7 and Win 10 on separate machines. I use external USB drives to store all important files, which can be connected to any of my comps. I have been hit by crashes and virus attacks many times since I started computing, so now I have back ups to back ups to back ups!

I also have an old P3 system with Win 98 and FAT 32 drives, and an Atari ST machine to run my favourite old progs. They are never connected to the internet though.

I would not consider upgrading any of my older systems to Win 10. My Win 2K laptop is the most rock solid weapon in my arsenal and has never let me down. Win XP is the latest system that I would trust with sensitive information such as internet banking, but you need good third party protection with it.

Win 10 can work, but you need to take sensible precautions with it such as disabling / removing all apps, using only a local account and disabling auto update. There are programs and instructions available on the web to enable you to do it all now. Makes it kind of pointless really, as you have to disable most of the features that are supposed to make it better than the previous systems!

There is no reason why you should not have a play with Win 10. You might like some of its features, especially if you are a multi-platform user, but for goodness sake, don’t do it on your main (or one and only) machine!

If you have Win 7 and are happy with it, then my advice would be to leave it alone but make sure it’s set up properly, and protect it with several third party utilities. Use a third party browser such as Firefox, and always back up important data on at least one separate device.

And one overriding piece of advice: NEVER TRUST MICROSOFT!
Sinkrate
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:43 am

Its a funny old do when it comes to "upgrading!...

It took me ages to "upgrade" from....
...FS 98SE to FS 2000...
...FS 2000 to FS 2002...
..FS 2002 to FS 2004...
..FS 2004 to FSX!

Mainly 'cos each one worked fine at the time!

The same as my Win 5, Win XP Pro, Win 7, and my present Win 8.1.

It will take me a while to "upgrade" to Win 10!

I am very slow at doing things...and if they work OK each time, then I need a poke with a pointed stick to make me change!... ;) ...!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Apex » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:22 am

I'd like to find out more about what advantages or betterment's Win10 might have over previous Wins. I'm on Win7 now, main system and my backup computer, mainly because I have and need Excel 2002, not the newer Excel 2010, which I consider atrocious and nearly impossible for me to use. With Excel 2002 I do accounting work, I've designed CD covers for myself and friends, and other stuff that Excel 2010 just doesn't cut it with. Also, I believe Excel 2002 might be incompatible with Win10, I'm not about to find out the hard way.

And there is also the possibility of incompatibility with other programs you may have been using all this time.

And of course my other attitude, for me personally "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." It takes time to set up a new system and get used to it.

BUT there's something a computer programmer friend of mine, who knows it all when it comes to computers, emailed me recently. This is it, word for word:

"I have already read a bunch of bad things about Win10 having to do with the sharing of your browsing/buying
habits on the Internet. There is also a big issue with WiFi access on a home network that involves friends
you have connected with on social networking sites. The folks that brought you Win8 have not entirely
reformed themselves. I wouldn't touch Win10 right now until more of the new atrocities have been exposed
and MS has had their butt whipped over them. I think the solution with some of this might be to get a list of
startup processes or services that people will want to disable, assuming MS doesn't allow a cleaner way to
do this."

I don't know enough about tech to comment further, except to say, ask around, do research, etc. We would like to think that MS, in all its either infinite or maybe just finite wisdom, would have done Win10 as a true advancement, especially after the Win8 problems. But what those advancements are and how well they treat us could be two different things entirely.

For example, from WinXP to Win7 was an easy transition for me, and I consider Win7 somewhat of an improvement over WinXP with no problems whatsoever cropping up.
That's the way Win10 SHOULD be. Whether it is could be another issue.

So check around carefully and satisfy yourself with any facts you can glean about Win10. And read the posts here, there's good stuff.
Apex
Major
Major

Postby Sinkrate » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:58 am

I'd like to find out more about what advantages or betterment's Win10 might have over previous Wins. I'm on Win7 now, main system and my backup computer, mainly because I have and need Excel 2002, not the newer Excel 2010, which I consider atrocious and nearly impossible for me to use. With Excel 2002 I do accounting work, I've designed CD covers for myself and friends, and other stuff that Excel 2010 just doesn't cut it with. Also, I believe Excel 2002 might be incompatible with Win10, I'm not about to find out the hard way.

You might like to have a look at this:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-win_upgrade/a-look-at-running-older-versions-of-microsoft/6faf72ea-254a-4c8e-9982-2c36cdb1936c

I've not tried Office 2002 on Win 10, but I do use Office Pro 2003 on it with no problems.

As far as I'm concerned, if the program is from Microsoft, it should bally well work! Furthermore, "any program that works on Win 7 should work on Win 10" - official MS statement.

However, see my comments in previous post!
Sinkrate
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby expat » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:35 am

Case closed then, staying with 8.1
Thanks for the input.

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Tug002 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:10 am

papituwall wrote:I have been unable of upgrading my laptop from win 7 to 10. Always error.
I have forgotten this upgrade i think I'm not the only with this problem.

I was having the same problem with my laptop and then plugged it in before booting up and it finally downloaded and installed windows 10. May just be a fluke but it took about 2 hours to install and I think that if your laptop is not plugged in it will not convert to windows 10 because if it runs out of battery while converting you will be SOL :shock: . Just a guess on my part :whistle: .

As for windows 10 I have not used it much so far but it seems to work fine. I switched my laptop over to windows 10 to get the feel of it in case when I upgrade my computer with my new mother board and processor etc my operating system will not function with the OS I am currently using right now. :o

Keep smiling
Tug :)
Tug002
Captain
Captain

Postby Hawkeye07 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:22 pm

I subscribe to the "Windows Secrets" newsletter and it really has a lot of great info. In the latest issue's top story "Attempting to answer whether MS is snooping"
Susan Bradley delves into this problem. It's a very informative article and definitely food for thought especially this part:

"Read the privacy policies of nearly every major Web service, and you might want to return to paper cups and string for your daily transmissions. Microsoft's privacy policy raises numerous concerns, but in truth it's not any worse than Google's or Apple's policies. They all say that they give you control over your privacy, but none say what they collect in any detail or in a way that the average human can interpret."

Personally I'm waiting for another year or so until more of the bugs are identified and corrected.

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby zswobbie1 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:03 am

No problems at all with my upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. FS9 works perfectly!!
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Jetranger » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:44 am

Well come to think of it - I started 10'ing back in the late 1970's , I was 10' inin

that's all we heard about was "10"

what I remember bout' 10 :D :lol: :roll: :roll:

more about "10" here :

http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/bo-derek/

http://officialboderek.com/

Jetranger
Major
Major

Next

Return to Computer Games & Software