Plan-G 2 & 3 dead

PC Software. Anything to do with PC Games & software!

Re: Plan-G 2 & 3 dead

Postby Fozzer » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:39 am

OldAirmail wrote:Plan-G 0.9 is already burned to disk.

After I spend more time with Plan-G 0.9 I may buy FSTramp anyway.

FSTramp is a lot faster than Plan-G 0.9. It also has many advantages over PG 0.9. But I love that Google topographical terrain map for when I fly below the rim in canyons. :D

...as the Bishop said to the Actress... ;) ... ;) ...!

Paul... :lol: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Plan-G 2 & 3 dead

Postby OldAirmail » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:46 pm

Reinstalling Plan-G v2 & v3 problems

Plan-G v2.0.5 crashing on database building, resolved.
Plan-G v3 crashing on initial startup, resolved.

Long story - running a new programs update checker crashed a lot of programs on my computer. I was pretty sure that it messed up my .net framework files. I re-installed the .net framework 4 files and everything looked ok.

Everything BUT Plan-G v2 & v3. After trying a bunch of stuff (sorry to get technical, but it can't be helped) I was somewhat certain that it was either running into a problem with the .net framework files, or possibly with FTX Global.

I even downloaded a program from MS that was designed to repair .net framework files. NO LUCK.

So I uninstalled FTX Global and FSX, AGAIN.

After re-installing ONLY FSX I tried to install Plan-G v2. NO JOY. :cry:

The next step was to un-install the .net framework files. That might be a bit harder than you may think. Finally I had to downloaded a .net framework removal program from Microsoft.

NOTE .net framework is essential to a large number of programs. If you uninstall it you can expect problems.

The program (dotnetfx_cleanup_tool) is a restricted program on MS, but you can download it from c|net.

My download came from MS and worked to perfection. If the c|net version doesn't work you'll need to know a MCP or MCSE to get it from the MS site.

If you do decide to use this program, let it run until it says that it's done. This took a LONG time (well, 3 to 5 minutes anyway).

After removal I restarted my computer. A video card monitoring program flashed a warning that I was missing an important/critical file. But Windows 7 Pro started up with no other problems.

NEXT STEP - I intentionally DID NOT install .net framework 4.

When you go to install Plan-G v2 it will check for .net 4 and let you start the .net instillation. Just let it pick out the version of .net for you. Plan-G v3 will select a .net framework 4.5 download. (Even it you don't intend to use Plan-G v3, go through the process so that you'll have a version of .net framework 4.5 that it needs. You do need .net framework 4.5 anyway.)

After restarting my computer this time there were no error messages.

After the 2 plan-G versions went through their database building they worked without any problems.

BTW - This is a SimViation exclusive. No other website has this solution.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Previous

Return to Computer Games & Software