A simple, but interesting, sim-pit idea

Only for Genuine FS fanatics! Taking this hobby from Real to Surreal? Or maybe just combining 4 hobbies into 1 ;)

A simple, but interesting, sim-pit idea

Postby OldAirmail » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:25 pm

Those full size cockpits that people build in their home are certainly interesting, but lets face it - most of us wouldn't want it in our home, never mind the time & money spent building them.

This, on the other hand (something that I found sometime last year) is small and simple.

If all of the USB cables went to a powered hub, or two, then you could quickly take it down and put it away.

My only negative on the setup is that the instruments would be somewhat hard to read as they'd be almost directly below your head. Moved back even six inches, and the numbers on the instruments would be much easier to read.

Even building it should be within the capability of most people.

.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Re: A simple, but interesting, sim-pit idea

Postby Tonydb » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:00 pm

This is a concept panel built to test an idea for a simple, affordable panel that could be used and then stowed away.
The design has been refined from this clunky hand built prototype to a sleek finished product and will go into production this year.

twin or four engine configuration and a generic approach to the gauges. Simple single USB connecvtion and easy setup. It will work with almost any aircraft.
AMD FSX 8 Series 4.65 KHz, 16GB Memory, ASUS MB, 2 X 2TB hard drives, 1 X 1TB SSD, Orico 4TB external backup drive, AMD 9000 series Graphics Card, 3 X AOC 25" Monitors Saitek AV8R, Saitek throttle block, custom cooling
Tonydb
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby logjam » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:12 pm

Very nice. Now if we could stick a 55" 4k TV as monitor behind that . . . :think:
logjam
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:54 pm

Tonydb wrote:....

This is a concept panel built to test an idea for a simple, affordable panel that could be used and then stowed away.
The design has been refined from this clunky hand built prototype to a sleek finished product and will go into production this year.

twin or four engine configuration and a generic approach to the gauges. Simple single USB connecvtion and easy setup. It will work with almost any aircraft.

You'll have switches and knobs for radio, navigation, etc.?
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Tonydb » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:13 pm

Yep, switches etc, single USB connection to computer and automatic setup and calibration, will run on win operating systems from XP upwards, will rund on FS9, FSX, and P3D
AMD FSX 8 Series 4.65 KHz, 16GB Memory, ASUS MB, 2 X 2TB hard drives, 1 X 1TB SSD, Orico 4TB external backup drive, AMD 9000 series Graphics Card, 3 X AOC 25" Monitors Saitek AV8R, Saitek throttle block, custom cooling
Tonydb
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:10 pm

Sounds interesting, good luck. :clap:
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby ermias » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:45 pm

Hello,

I like it very much. Simple and practical. If it was for me, I would have stack the radio panels and the switch panel on the left side and bring the MCP panel right on top of the yoke.

There are several combinations of GA simulators in that page.
http://www.pilote-virtuel.com/viewtopic.php?pid=787321

ermias,
ermias
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:53 am

Thanks for the link, ermias. Now I know where that picture (above) came from.

Marc_63 starts off with that picture, and then shows off his improvements. And I have to admit that he does an excellent job too.

This one, in particular, appeals to me.

But that first one would just fit in the area that I have. And even then I'd have to remove it to use my desk for anything else. :(
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby ermias » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:10 am

OldAirmail,

You are welcome. The trick is, if a picture is posted online, right mouse click it and in the dropdown menu "search google for image" shows up. Then click that and it usually takes you to the source. I am not sure if that works in all browsers. I use Chrome.

Now I know that it is the same person who posted some of them. Maybe I will make one like that since I have some extra yoke, Saitek stuff and LCD monitors. I was thinking to put them on Ebay, but it is a hussle. So nice excuse right?

Have you seen these:
https://siminnovations.com/
http://www.peixsoft.com/

I have the first one and it is very flexible. I am trying the second one, but the first one seems better since it covers different GA models. Otherwise both of them are great.

Thanks,
ermias.

ermias
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby RAFSB » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:31 pm

Here is a pic of our portable sim that we can take anywhere. We are building a second one with a glass panel. The monitor is a 42" LED TV.

RAFSB
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby logjam » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:49 pm

That's nice RAF. I have downloaded the GPS1000 on my tablet, but it doesn't do anything to interact with FSX. Seems like something Fozzer could use on his motorbike. <<s
logjam
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:03 pm

For what it's worth, I did a short post back in December that might be of interest to a few people.

A small scale cockpit in a box!

If I had a Saitek yoke I'd probably make one myself.

The concept - Glass or traditional instrumentation on your yoke.

Image Image

Attachment & connections

Image Image
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby ermias » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:15 pm

Wow, that is even more minimalist. Personally I am not sure if I can handle that. Given my nature my brain would keep racing as if something is missing. You know phisical avionics and the like.... But still great idea.

ermias

ermias
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Tonydb » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:51 pm

The good news is that there are a whole raft of new technologies that are now ready for production, curved screens, usb - 3 and C smaller cheaper stepper motors and servo motors etc etc. For simmers that is good news, expect to see a new range of accurate, high quality and AFFORDABLE simpits over the next 2 years. they will be slimmer and more robust with a smaller footprint that allows them to be stored out of the way when not in use.
Tonydb
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Home Cockpits and Setups