A-3 Skywarrior cockpit sim

Only for Genuine FS fanatics! Taking this hobby from Real to Surreal? Or maybe just combining 4 hobbies into 1 ;)

A-3 Skywarrior cockpit sim

Postby wifesaysno » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:31 am

Okay folks, I have been tasked with investigating the feasibility of turning an authentic Douglas A-3 Skywarrior cockpit into a sim. Any ideas?

Yes this is an ACTUAL forward fuselage of an A-3...not exactly sure how I got into this :lol:

<<s
wifesaysno
Major
Major

Re: A-3 Skywarrior cockpit sim

Postby wifesaysno » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:36 am

Thought I was exaggerating didn't you? :D

She ended her career as a tanker and so the Kalamazoo Air Zoo would like to turn her into a teaching tool regarding in-flight refueling as well as helping tell the story of another great Douglas aircraft.
wifesaysno
Major
Major

Postby JBaymore » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:48 pm

I guess it all depends upon how you define "feasible".

Under the broadest definition it is not only feasible but would be a GREAT project that many folks would LOVE to be able to tackle.

However... a lot depends on two factors: budget and time.

An actual cockpit is an amazing place to start from. But it also provides its own set of challenges.

Take some time to look at the past threads in this forum section.... there are documentations not only of folks doing just this sort of thing (not exact same aircraft though)....as well as the general "overview" of what you'll need to tackle to create a simpit.

See here:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28679

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/pa ... 567-1.html

Basic rule of simpit building........... the closer to "real" you have to get it... the more it will cost.

And of course the standard rules for all projects apply:

It will take more time that you plan.

It will take more money than you plan.

One starting placve is to look for a GOOD sim aircraft model and flight dynamics package...and for at least the time being... sim instrument panel. You'll likely want that for the "base" if the sim. When you get it going, if you can find an A-3 jock (pilot) that can assist and "test fly" the flight dynamics... that will be very helpful for the realism.

Keep us posted here... and there likely will be lots of help from this forum section.

best,

..........................john
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MASABI TROOPER » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:44 pm

Hi wahubna, you are going to need a lot of hours doing the electrics, electronics and the mecanical part..............very high challenge...........congratulations.
:violin: I am shure that you guys are going to make it :doh:
Bruno
Bruno (Trooper)
MASABI TROOPER
Captain
Captain

Return to Home Cockpits and Setups