Home Build Flight Simulator

Only for Genuine FS fanatics! Taking this hobby from Real to Surreal? Or maybe just combining 4 hobbies into 1 ;)

Home Build Flight Simulator

Postby ermias » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:43 pm

Hello,

Here are some pictures of my present simulator. My initial try was a single seat and then I attempted a dual seat, but I was not very happy with it. Over the years I kept changing its appearance and features. Finally I decided to go with a flavor of Boeing 737.

Mostly I enjoy it and sometimes I go down to my basement and tear a part apart and when it gets worse or life puts its firm grip on me I just only think about it. VERY BAD OBSESSION. I got this from my father who worked for two airlines for thirty seven years as aircraft technician and engineer.

My current simulator has a lot of changes and features compared to my first one. It has dual sit and pairs of CH rudder pedals and yokes, Go Flight EFIS, MCP and multi mode display module, Saitek throttles, trim wheel, and avionics panels.

All the CRT monitors are replaced with LCD panels.

I am also using two android tablets and one old android smart phone for the simulator. They are used as external monitors using a software called iDisplay. So the smart phone is used as a wet compass, a 7" nook color is used for approach plate, METAR and moving map using avilution software. I use a 10" ASUS for CDU inputs. Both the wet compass and CDU are parts of ProSim glass cockpit software.

All the panels on the MIP are from open cockpits. Some of them are wired and some are still waiting.

This hobby, as we all know, is to run away from. Don't get me wrong I didn't buy these all at once nor with my income. They are products of multiple birthdays, two graduations, several Christmases, erm ... do you want this I don't use it any more_s, yard sales and so on. I feel really fortunate for having the short cuts which otherwise I can not afford at all.

But my blessing, most of all, is my wife who hated the simulator at the beginning and begun to see and understand what it means to me which is sanity!! This past December marked my seventh year off-and-on struggle with simulator building.

Thank you very much,
ermias

ermias
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Home Build Flight Simulator

Postby MASABI TROOPER » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:34 pm

WOW................just cool.............how many hours did you spend working on this miracle ??

Regards
Trooper
Bruno (Trooper)
MASABI TROOPER
Captain
Captain

Postby ermias » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:20 pm

Hi Master Trooper,

I am not sure how much time I spent on it. But it is safe to simply say A LOT. I started the project without a particular intent in terms of model in late 2005. At the beginning I built a single sit and then decided to build the current one. If you are interested, there are more pictures here: http://www.flightsimshowcase.com (not finished, but enough to see)

Thank you very much,

ermias
ermias
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby logjam » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:57 am

Reminds me of the time I built a Miles Magister out of my Brother’s pedal car. Dad arranged a meeting for me down at the woodshed.
logjam
Major
Major

Postby Hestntonpms » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:55 pm

wow!
That is amazing !
I am so jealous !
Gigabyte X79 Chip set Mobo
Intel-i7 4820K CPU/Liquid cooled
Single GTX Titan 6gig GPU/ extreme air cooled
16 gig/1600 MHz quad channel DDR3
1 T/B -Raid-0 array,Risking it all for every ounce of performance until I go with SSD's
Hestntonpms
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:31 pm

logjam wrote:Reminds me of the time I built a Miles Magister out of my Brother’s pedal car. Dad arranged a meeting for me down at the woodshed.

Puts the whole exercise in a nut shell..... ;) ... ;) ...!

Paul.... ;) ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ermias » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:03 pm

Hello,

Thanks to all that commented on the above post. I just posted an update about the simulator building process. Please go to the link below and if you like leave a comment.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=169143

Thanks,
ermias
ermias
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby RAFSB » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:01 am

RAFSB
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby ermias » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:19 am

RAFSB wrote:This is one of our sit in cockpits.

https://www.simviation.com/phpupload/upl ... 518833.jpg

Hi,
Thanks and it looks great. Who is "our"? Details and more pictures on a new post would help more.

Best,
ermias
ermias
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby RAFSB » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:24 am

ermais,

This cockpit used to be a CF-18 cockpit that we converted to a F-35b. We have 19 FS2004 simulators, 11 Advanced simulators running Prepar3d, one 2008 ship simulator, one 2 place UAV simulator and a 60' 3 section Space Shuttle simulator and finally an AGI simulator.
These are all inside the Cadet Youth Development Center (Regional Community Aerospace Facility) at CYKF. It is the only building so far in Canada.
Air Cadets, Army Cadets, Sea Cadets, Scouts and Cubs, Guides and Brownies and School classes use our facility.
RAFSB
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby RAFSB » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:59 am

Here are a few pics of our flight center.

RAFSB
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby ermias » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:09 am

That looks great.

Thanks,
ermias
ermias
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Home Cockpits and Setups